Is MDF dangerous?

(7 Posts)
fruttidibosco Mon 20-Jun-16 10:22:52

Have read something about MDF being the new asbestos but there is a massive panel of MDF at the back of my child's cupboard (fitted wardrobe and the MDF splits between two rooms) - it was plain MDF (ie not veneered like in ikea) and we have painted it ourselves. Now slightly panicking that it is a major health hazard that will be banned one day and I've backed my child's wardrobe with it!!! Am I panicking ridiculously???

whois Mon 20-Jun-16 10:32:16

The research indicates it is the partials that are dangerous - like with asbestos.

So you have an inert piece of MDF sitting solidly in the back of your wardrobe = fine.

You work in a factory sawing up bits of MDF to make wardrobes with = not fine.

MachiKoro Mon 20-Jun-16 10:36:37

MDF gives off formaldehyde (from the glues used in the manufacturing process, but I would have thought any off-gassing would have finished from the piece in the wardrobe by now.
Good plants to 'soak up' the fumes are spider plants, apparently.

fruttidibosco Mon 20-Jun-16 10:46:10

So what about when the piece was sawn to form the backing of the wardrobe (as would have been cut to size by the carpenter in my house) would there be lots of the dust hanging around in the wardrobe still, in his clothes etc? And yes the formaldehyde thing worries me too confused

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Mon 20-Jun-16 10:48:53

Not enough to worry about.

Taking it out runs the risk of creating far more dust. And dropping it on your foot. That stuff is pretty heavy.

whois Mon 20-Jun-16 10:48:58

So what about when the piece was sawn to form the backing of the wardrobe (as would have been cut to size by the carpenter in my house) would there be lots of the dust hanging around in the wardrobe still, in his clothes etc?

No. I assume you have hoovered in the time since the wardrobw was constructed?

I think you are being a bit over anxious about the dangers of a solid piece of MDF.

Fourarmsv2 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:52:04

Gosh we cut up loads at school. DT teachers must be at high risk sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now