would you buy a house near a cruise ship terminal?

(16 Posts)
BipBippadotta Tue 14-Jun-16 11:52:09

We're looking at buying a house in E Greenwich, but are alarmed at the plans to build a cruise ship terminal a ten minute walk away in Enderby Wharf - Boris Johnson green-lighted this with no concern for the massive air pollution it would cause in the area.

BipBippadotta Tue 14-Jun-16 11:54:16

Whoops, sent too soon (posting from bus). Anyway, apparently the decision is being challenged but there's no timetable for the final high court ruling. Would you buy this house under the circumstances? I am troubled, as we love the house but would prefer not to die young of diesel-inspired cancer.

cestlavielife Tue 14-Jun-16 12:35:05

UK is in the north sea emission control area for ships meaning that the sulphur emissions from ships have to be below 0.10% m/m. so the level of pollution form the ships is strictly controlled . so no i would not worry too much.
(against a limit globally of 3.5 % m/m which i set to fall to 0.5% after 2020 or 2025. )

Branleuse Tue 14-Jun-16 12:47:17

10 minute walk away isnt that close

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 14-Jun-16 12:55:10

It's not just the boat but also the number of passengers coming and going by coach that would also concern me.

lalalonglegs Tue 14-Jun-16 13:20:38

If you're buying in East Greenwich, I'd be much more concerned about the pollution coming from the gridlocked traffic along Trafalgar Road and the three/four lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic along the Blackwall Tunnel approach road.

BipBippadotta Tue 14-Jun-16 15:16:23

Hm. I suppose having no knowledge of emissions levels it's hard to gauge whether 0.10% m/m is liveable with or not. I'd read something likening a cruise ship to 2,000 idling lorries - can't now find that article again, frustratingly. It was about the shipping pollution in Portsmouth, so somewhere subject to the same emissions controls.

We're pretty hardy so could probably cope (provided DH keeps on top of his asthma inhaler prescriptions!), but I wonder whether it would be difficult to sell the house if we needed to, once the terminal was up and running and the Greenwich power station active again.

PigletJohn Tue 14-Jun-16 19:44:04

the smell of the smoke from ships diesels when they start up, sit around getting warm, and get underway, is terrible.

I suppose we now know they will be chucking out particulates as well.

JillyTheDependableBoot Tue 14-Jun-16 23:40:31

I live in East Greenwich now, about 2 minutes walk from Trafalgar road and about 25 minutes from where the proposed cruise terminal will be. It's a big difference! FWIW I wouldn't want to live near the terminal for reasons that have nothing to do with it - more to do with being isolated from all the nice bits of Greenwich by the A roads, Blackwall Tunnel approach etc. How well do you know the area generally, OP?

ChicRock Tue 14-Jun-16 23:47:38

No I wouldn't.

The endless building work (how long will it take?), site traffic during the works, passenger traffic, fumes from the ships, etc.

No.

Muddlewitch Tue 14-Jun-16 23:55:53

I live about 20 mins walk from a cruise ship terminal. There is a smell/smog but also the traffic when the ships are in is horrendous. I work the other side of the terminal and it clogs the whole city up when there is a big cruise in.

specialsubject Wed 15-Jun-16 09:59:33

If you are worried about pollution and asthmatic, anywhere in east London is obviously bad - prevailing wind. Johnson has signed off worse things but he didn't make the city what it is.

I would also think that ship days would be even more.crowded.

BipBippadotta Wed 15-Jun-16 11:20:04

Thanks everyone! I know the area fairly well after lots of house-hunting, though I live in NE London at the moment.

The place I'm looking at is by Maze Hill station, upwind of the proposed terminal, not cut off by A roads and Blackwall Tunnel approach, about 2 mins' walk to the park. So I don't think isolation from the nice bits would be an issue. Just hard to predict what the impact of the cruise ships will be.

Pootles2010 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:24:44

Oh my ILs live there - lovely area. Totally irrelevant i know grin Greenwich park is gorgeous. I wouldn't worry, 10 mins walk is not that close.

JillyTheDependableBoot Wed 15-Jun-16 12:39:20

I wouldn't worry at all if that's where you're looking!

tangoman Wed 07-Sep-16 10:39:29

Lovely area-right by the park-go for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now