Starting to plan an exension

(6 Posts)
DolomphiousDuck Mon 13-Jun-16 12:31:14

I'm in North London and looking into a kitchen extension on our 1920s terraced house. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I need someone to come and tell me what is possible and to help me understand what I will need to do. Do I start with an architect? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Also, if you've done an extension already - do you have any tips?

whois Mon 13-Jun-16 13:07:15

Are you on fridnyl terms with any of your neighbours that have had a kitchen extension - if so try and get a look at theirs. Also can check our RM and see if any have sold recently have good photos/floorplans that show an extension.

You do need either a good builder (get recomendtations) or an architect.

poochiepants Mon 13-Jun-16 14:35:13

Depends on how complicated the design needs to be as to whether you get in an architect. Many design & build companies use architectural technicians that do the drawings and are cheaper than an architect, don't rely on a builder doing it - their expertise is creating it, not designing it. Design & build often outsource all of that stuff too, so be aware of that. It's not an issue if they do, but don't be afraid to ask the question....You need someone who can bring structural engineers, party wall surveyors, quantity surveyors etc into the mix, you don't want to end up co-ordinating it all yourself.

But definitely keep in mind where all your furniture will go, where storage is going to be and what style, curtains or blinds etc - have seen so many extensions etc built with no consideration for how your stuff & you will fit into them!

And definitely look to see what others have done in the area, and check out old approved planning applications on the Internet #secretsnooping wink

poochiepants Mon 13-Jun-16 14:37:17

Oh, and start to look at kitchen designs, then you can be sure that what you want fits the space, otherwise you might end up compromising on that for the sake of an architects decision as to how you should be living......^^ seen that a lot!!!!

poochiepants Mon 13-Jun-16 14:38:49

Ah, me again. Have just thought of someone local who can help with all of it - will DM you (am no where near you so it's not me, don't worry!)

DolomphiousDuck Mon 13-Jun-16 15:55:10

Thank you so much. That's really useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now