Wet rooms

(4 Posts)
BipBippadotta Sun 12-Jun-16 15:56:10

We have found a house to buy that is almost perfect - - except that it has one 'bathroom', and that's a wet room. I find wet rooms really naff, I don't understand how you keep your towels and loo roll dry, and they seem like a massive slipping and cracking your head open risk.

Plus this particular wet room has no storage space / medicine cabinet, etc. Nowhere to keep your toiletries. No towel rail. Nothing. (Though the estate agents assure me it's a young expectant couple living in the house, I am 99.9% sure it's been done up by developers & nobody's ever had to live in it in its current state.) So this is not a liveable-with wet room except in the very short term.

How labour intensive / expensive do you think it would be to make it back into a bathroom, with a bath?

Any tips for living with a wet room in the interim?

Penfold007 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:27:38

My parents have a wet room and it is just fine. They do, however, have a cabinet, loo and towel rails including a heated towel rail. If there is room for a bath then fitting one shouldn't be tricky or expensive. It may be the planning department has insisted on a wet room, a family member has applied for planning permission for a new build and council have insisted there has to be a wet room.

BipBippadotta Sun 12-Jun-16 17:21:06

I imagine wet rooms can work well when they're big enough for part of the room to stay dry, but in my recent house-hunting experience wet rooms are often the desperate last resort of London property developers to try to make a small bathroom look bigger and/or 'stylish'.

The house is Victorian so having a bath in it shouldn't be a planning issue and there should be enough room for one.

Khashayar Mon 04-Jul-16 21:16:15

Yes have the same problem I have a wet room and want to change it back scared stiff I am going to have a leak from the drain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now