Cheapest way to do up a driveway?

(22 Posts)
hormental Sun 12-Jun-16 12:57:13

our driveway was previously gravel but looks really run down. What's the cheapest way to make it look presentable? Tarmac? Paving stones? Monoblock? Any ideas?

Zola1980 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:26:12

We had a single Tarmac drive extended widthways to fit two cars, paved with block paving and a nice border, for £2300.

hormental Sun 12-Jun-16 18:24:18

Thanks Zola!

PigletJohn Sun 12-Jun-16 19:38:21

If it was gravel on a proper base, you could have another layer of hoggin laid and rolled

It should not just be a cartload of pea shingle. Proper hoggin is stones and sand mixed with clay to bind it, and with minimal maintenance lasts a hundred years.

Plain shingle goes into ruts and hollows, and gets kicked about.

Lelivre Sun 12-Jun-16 19:59:23

Making place. Ours is patchy worn down looking gravely Tarmac.

frenchfancy Mon 13-Jun-16 12:06:56

If it was done properly the first time then the cheapest thing to do would be to top up the gravel. Don't skimp though you need a lot of gravel to make a diference.

MachiKoro Mon 13-Jun-16 12:12:38

I love the idea of hoggin being explained by a piglet!

Wuffleflump Mon 13-Jun-16 12:31:32

How's drainage in your area? Will there be drainage and flooding issues with tarmac?

cbigs Mon 13-Jun-16 12:39:46

Following! Also have a really big but looks shite gravel drive blush

BikeRunSki Mon 13-Jun-16 12:52:11

I'd love a resin drive when I win the lottery.

hormental Mon 13-Jun-16 20:05:47

What's a resin drive? Also we live at bottom of a hill so imagine the driveway gets quite wet if that makes a difference

snowgirl1 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:49:02

Resin is an expensive way to do your drive. Lots of tiny weeny pebbles mixed with resin (like a clear glue) and then rolled flat. Rainwater can get through the tiny gaps between the pebbles so it's drainage friendly. It kind of looks like smart smooth gravel. I'd like it too but the quote for our drive came in at £13K <gulp>

cbigs Tue 14-Jun-16 11:59:17

Anyone got any views on imprinted concrete?

Bremain Tue 14-Jun-16 12:08:01

We had imprinted concrete done afew years ago. It was a big job - as the whole area (driveway and round the back area of the house) was regular concrete done by the previous owners.

looks great actually - and negligible maintenance.

But it was concrete previously.. So we've not made the drainage issues any worse.

Was about £4000 ? Can't remember exactly, but something around that figure.

Lelivre Tue 14-Jun-16 12:46:46

Such a lot of money. I don't mind gravel and DM says it puts off intruders but our drive slopes down to the pavement.

lljkk Tue 14-Jun-16 12:52:34

If you're at bottom of hill, you need an option with excellent drainage. NOT tarmac.

Lelivre Tue 14-Jun-16 13:30:22

Oh no not a hill. Slight slope and already Tarmac but ropey looking.

lljkk Tue 14-Jun-16 13:51:26

sorry Leliv, my last comment was to OP.

JasperDamerel Tue 14-Jun-16 14:01:54

I'm interested in responses, too. My entire front garden is currently badly-laid concrete, which is particularly annoying as we don't even have a car, so the space is only used for visitors to park on. I want to rip it up and put down something with enough space space for a car to park and a path to walk down and have the rest free for planting.

But not gravel, because I want to be able to rush out in bare feet to put the bin out when I hear the lorry coming if I forgot the night before.

cbigs Tue 14-Jun-16 17:43:07

Yes I agree jasper gravel looks fine if you weed it but is really not user friendly at all .

Moreisnnogedag Tue 14-Jun-16 18:04:50

We looked at getting a resin drive - it totted up to over £25k. We have a rubbish gravel drive with weeds growing rampant. Ugh. Need to do something.

Squidgems Tue 14-Jun-16 21:06:45

After losing the will to live with cats using the garden as a toilet a friend's very handy husband laid gravel after doing thorough preparation and laying down the sheeting. More than ten years later there is only the occasional weed which is soon seen off with a squirt of weedkiller. The main problem is the smaller children sometimes helping themselves to the gravel and then having to go and retrieve it from the pavement and road!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now