Building work next door - AIBU ?

(7 Posts)
didireallysaythat Sat 11-Jun-16 16:57:17

Can someone point me in the direction of "local laws" regarding building work at the weekend ?

I'm starting to get annoyed... I've been simmering a bit but now I'm on edge.

1. We didn't get the letter about their planning submission until it had been granted.
2. Their scaffolding over hangs our property - they haven't mentioned - they will need to remove it to allow OUR builder access later in the summer.

But this is what I'm annoyed about

3. The builders have worked both Saturdays since they started (5pm and they are just stopping having started at 8am - radio blaring the entire time).

I thought Saturday all day was frowned on ?

Fridayschild5 Sat 11-Jun-16 17:07:13

The party wall award we had drawn up stipulates no work at weekends or bank holidays however I think it depends on the nature of the work i.e. clattering and banging builders vs you doing some diy. Have you had a party wall discussion with your neighbours as ours is very detailed as to what is and is not allowed (if you have a party wall that is)?

didireallysaythat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:21:41

No party wall alas - they haven't spoken to us at all.

wowfudge Sat 11-Jun-16 19:19:36

Have a look on your council website under Environment or Environmental Health. Sadly some people lack basic manners.

Peyia Sat 11-Jun-16 20:00:23

Ditto wow

Our LA says 8:00 am to 13:00 which our builder has done on the odd Saturday. We've asked them to keep the radio low but unfortunately that may still disturb our neighbours but they haven't complained and we have kept them informed as much as possible. It's difficult keeping everyone happy!!

Your neighbours sound very inconsiderate.

Hulababy Sat 11-Jun-16 20:07:19

You say you are having building works later this year? Unless its causing you a real inconvenience I'd be wary of doing too much to annoy them - you may find your works may inconvenience them, and they'd then be tit for tat in wanting to 'get back at you.'

I'm not sure re Saturday - maybe check your own council pages on the matter. Our builders have never worked on a Saturday at all - this year or last year (two different works.)

Ideally it is better to speak to neighbours before works start, but it isn't always possible depending on the relationship you have with your neighbours. We have always kept our neighbours informed but even so they've had some issues - have to say that all have been minor and in some cases rather petty tbh. We didn't need planning permission for any of our work. Especially when we've had inconveniences from their side in the past and never said or word. And we get on with most of our neighbours - but you can never please everyone when it comes to building works ime.

didireallysaythat Sat 11-Jun-16 21:43:47

I've been inclined to leave things because of our building work, but I'm not sure 6 months of builders Saturday 8-6 is going to make me happy whilst our work is mostly internal and should take 3 months max. I might ring the scaffolding company and ask if they can move the poles or let our builder saw the bits off if he needs the clearance to get the new rafters in. We should be ok but would be good to have a backup plan. I'm fairly sure it's freehold space and they shouldn't be in it without permission - the scaffolding went up while we were out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now