Has anyone moved stairs?

(11 Posts)
agnesrose86 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:16:11

We are really struggling to work out how we can improve our downstairs layout and are beginning to think the best solution would be to move the stairs. Has anyone done this and if so how much did it cost in total? We wouldnt need anything bespoke or particularly high end but needs to be built to last.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 11-Jun-16 16:18:04

Can't comment on prices but my parents did this and it was sooooo worth it. A HUGE job and totally changed the house, particularly the upstairs, but was so worth it!

agnesrose86 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:22:38

Oo thanks. That's great to know. It would mean we could have a big light filled kitchen diner across the back of the house which I think would be life changing for us. The downside would be losing a beautiful Georgian staircase but it's huge and right in the middle of the house.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 11-Jun-16 16:25:01

Ooh wow that sounds lovely smile

TheTeaFairy Sat 11-Jun-16 16:29:32

We did this a long time ago, when we were also removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make a big family room. I seem to remember it cost about £3,000 but I'm not sure whether that included labour (probably not). It wasn't too hideous a job apart from the issue of discouraging small children from trying to access the first floor via step ladder for a few days smile

agnesrose86 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:33:25

Oh fab that sounds very reasonable. I was hoping it would be £3-7k but didn't know if that was widely unrealistic.

cathyandclaire Sat 11-Jun-16 16:36:36

If it's Georgian is the house not listed?

agnesrose86 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:39:11

No it's not actually which is good in terms of making changes.

cathyandclaire Sat 11-Jun-16 16:41:17

We know some people who turned their staircase around and reused the bannister and posts- could be a possibility for you maybe?

agnesrose86 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:43:26

Hm something to think about but possibly not because our current staircase turns back on itself with a landing in the middle whereas I think the new one would pretty much be a straight run of stairs.

wallywobbles Sat 11-Jun-16 17:46:34

You could probably sell it as is - we are currently looking for a staircase (in France though) - any photos op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now