Advice extension layout

(18 Posts)
user1465479156 Thu 09-Jun-16 15:10:13

I'm hoping to pick your brains.
These are the initial plans that were drawn up for an extension but not keen on keeping the kitchen where it is. My garden is beautiful and I want to take advantage of the views as well wanting to create a sociable space. I also have a toddler.
Current plans show two sets of bifolds but this could be change to one set and a window.

Any ideas on how you would the space?

Thanks

whois Thu 09-Jun-16 16:17:01

Hard without seeing dimensions as don't know how much space you woiuld have if I start changing things.

I would try and go for super big change as currently living space will feel like a massive corridor.
- New entrance put in through store.
- Open to stairs put in that side of the stairs.
- living room to stairs walled in. Living room to diner walled and a door.
- Kitchen moved ot be U shaped with a breakfast bar / social space in the middle.
- Dining table at the back of the room where there is less light.
- Sofa put in the family room area against the wall by the patio doors.

whois Thu 09-Jun-16 16:17:39

I love huge kitchen/living/diners as long as there is a separate snug/living room.

user1465479156 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:07:13

Thanks! Some great ideas. Yes, I agree that you need a sanctuary to retreat to for some peace and quiet that's cosy.

I had thought of using the current kitchen space as a playroom. Do you think I'd have enough storage/room for everything if the kitchen was just in the extension, right hand side?

whois Thu 09-Jun-16 17:33:00

Do you think I'd have enough storage/room for everything if the kitchen was just in the extension, right hand side?

Not sure without knowing the dimensions and how big you like your kitchen :-)

user1465479156 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:51:44

Im useless at visualising the space. Better at the decoration of it. Here are the dimensions on the photo. Hope you can read them.

user1465479156 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:53:31

3430 by 7345

whois Thu 09-Jun-16 18:15:28

Yes I think it would all fit into the current 'dining' section of the extension.

3430 is 5 full 600 cabinates and pull out larder cupboard thing. Sink and dishwasher under the window. Bog drawers under the breakfast bar.

There would be loads of space left for the big doors to the garden. Less than in my drawing if you go for a bit of an overhang for the breakfast bar.

Extractor above hob. High cupboards above the other base units on the R wall.
Gives you:
- 4x high cupboards.
- Double width drawers.
- 5x low cupboards
- 1x full height larder

You could add a nice cupboard on the wall at the end of the breakfast bar as well if you wanted an extra high cupboard.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 09-Jun-16 23:23:56

I don't think you'd have enough space with just using the right hand side of the extension as a kitchen. It's a big room and having such a small kitchen would be disproportionate. I think the suggestion whois made in red is the best use of space.

user1465479156 Fri 10-Jun-16 07:58:19

That's good to know.
Thank you! Have you recently done your own kitchen? You seem to be on the ball!

user1465479156 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:00:10

Namechangedtoday

So, use the existing kitchen as well as the right hand side of the kitchen?
What you put in the area that is an existing kitchen. Worried about it being a bit disjointed.
Thanks

All advice and thoughts are welcome.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 10-Jun-16 18:17:19

We're just extending at the moment. Our layout isn't too dissimilar to yours, except our lounge is separate. We're making the back of your lounge your existing kitchen and extension into one open room. We did consider putting a utility where your existing kitchen is, which would have left us with 4m on the right hand side for a run of units. I don't like U shaped kitchens, I think it invariably means only one person can be in there (especially when you only have 120 cm between sides of the U as above, think it would feel cramped) and you'd have to be careful with doors open (eg in the example above, it would be difficult to have the dishwasher and oven open at the same time). So armed with my plan for a 4m run of units and a large island unit, I've had various plans drawn up by designers and I didn't think I had quite enough storage so we've changed the plans for the utility so I have a bit more space for the kitchen on the right hand side (about 4.6m). Most of the kitchen companies have produced a 3D design showing the kitchen and a mock up of the rest of the room and it looks about right. Could you maybe go to a couple of kitchen designers and get them to produce a plan for you - it's a really good way of seeing it in perspective.

NapQueen Fri 10-Jun-16 18:20:38

A friend of mine has her playroom in what is your kitchen with her dining table in between the playroom and that garden wall. Patio doors. Then in the top left corner the whole kitchen.

Eat into the front living room allowance and put a wall in.

Is the w.c and utility set in stone?

user1465479156 Fri 10-Jun-16 21:24:48

Hey ladies. Thank you.

Yes I think the next step is speaking to some kitchen designers. Need to see a
Computer image.

Utility and toilet not set in stone. What were you thinking?

NapQueen Fri 10-Jun-16 21:54:58

I was thinking two things

1.you could block off the living room from the main door and route people past the bottom of the stairs and up the right side of the stairs. Keep the w.c and utility there. Enter the front living room from the back rather than the front door.

OR

2. Put the loo and utility in the middle of the living room and family room - Between the kitchen to living room door and the supporting wall before the extension. Across the gap. So the living room is closed off to the front and the family room is on the other side of the loo and utility. Change the family room area to the kitchen, dining room moves back up to where the kitchen/utility/loo bit is and the family room top right.

Tbh though the main priority for me would be not having to enter the living room on entering the house (so either repurposed that room to something else or block it and reroute people across the bottom of the stairs. Also having to come right through every room to go up the stairs would annoy me. The footfall back and forth through the living room which, when you have a kitchen, diner and family room, is probably going to only be used in the evening would annoy me.

NapQueen Fri 10-Jun-16 22:03:53

What I would do if the dimensions worked out. Could even move the entrance to the snug/sitting room down to opposite the front door to give more worktop space in the kitchen.

YouCannotPossiblyBeHungry Sat 11-Jun-16 08:48:17

We have a similar area following an extension. I love the big open-plan area but definitely agree that a separate closed off living room is a good thing to have.
Could you create a kitchen island where that kitchen wall is? Even with a pillar or extra rsj if it is supporting wall would give you full view of dining area and play area from the kitchen. Also, more storage and worktops.
I would also consider making the main entrance through the store area. I love having a clear sight line from front door through whole building and into the garden. I would also make sure you have enough light in the kitchen and dining area. Even with bi-folds having a double length room in effect can mean they can be too dark so extra windows or roof-lights may be a good idea. I really miss the planning stage of the extension!

user1465479156 Sat 11-Jun-16 14:36:43

Thank you all for your ideas.

Yes, entering the house and stairs through the living room has always bugged me. Have emailed my architect to see what we can do about that.

Really cross with my husband as he insisted on installing a wood burning stove in the living room. I said we should wait until we know exactly what we are doing. He said , well, we aren't touching the living room are we? So the problem I have, is that I have a stove bang in the middle of the wall. Cost £2000 to fit etc. You can actually see it on the plans. So, if I use the back of the living room, then the fire won't be central and may look silly. Perhaps I could pinch some of it without it looking too silly. Had planned on sliding doors between the new extension and living room as opposed to a wall so that we had more flexibilty and light in the living room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now