Why would this 100 year old house collapse like this?

(90 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 08-Jun-16 18:42:29

This story caught my eye because it is quite near me and I walk through street after street of London terraces like this every day.

I can't remember anything like this ever happening before.

not a Daily Mail link

LaurieFairyCake Wed 08-Jun-16 18:43:40

They took out all the internal walls and didn't put up acros

Really dodgy builders

Hope the householders are properly insured

whois Wed 08-Jun-16 18:44:58

WOAH that is seriosuly uncool to happen!

OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-16 18:45:35

ALL the internal walls had been removed? Well that was a fucking stupid thing to do.

Hope the owners were insured shock

kitchenunit Wed 08-Jun-16 18:47:36

From a neighbour: “It was really exciting, there was a big crunch and a big cloud of dust, it was like a bomb had gone off."

Nice and supportive there grin

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 08-Jun-16 18:49:50

Such a shame. They are lovely houses. Even I (who knows zero about building) knows you don't take supporting walls out without something to replace the support. I can't imagine even the worst cowboy builders making that sort of mistake ... but maybe they have?

RaisingSteam Wed 08-Jun-16 18:49:52

Roof spread and pushed the front and back wall out by the look of it. Then the weight of the roof took out what was left of the first floor. Our previous house like that had the roof propped off the centre wall.

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 08-Jun-16 18:51:04

I've heard of this happening in properties where cellars have been added and the house just doesn't have the foundations to cope with it, but taking out all the internal walls?! Who does that? I know diddly-squat about building but would understand that you can't do that without dire consequences!

eternalopt Wed 08-Jun-16 18:51:12

Does insurance cover ridiculous decisions like removing all the walls?!?

clarrrp Wed 08-Jun-16 18:55:04

Eeep. Someone is going to be in trouble.....

SouthDownsSunshine Wed 08-Jun-16 18:59:46

That's awful! We have a similar house and had a bit of roof spread that had to be urgently sorted when we moved in.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 08-Jun-16 18:59:52

I'd bet they were not allowed planning permission for what they wanted, and this mistake by cowboy builders accident means they can rebuild to their hearts content

but I am a cynical wee soul.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Wed 08-Jun-16 19:05:36

Kirsty Allsopp's hammer has a lot to answer for.

whois Wed 08-Jun-16 19:33:04

oh hope not TondelayaDellaVentamiglia

Its a bit lie how isn't it funny all the trees that are in the way of a development suddenly die :--(

W8woman Wed 08-Jun-16 20:26:48

I'd be very surprised if this is insured. Builders so inept they don't use steels and props are unlikely to have the correct insurance and your own domestic buildings insurance is void the whole time you have builders in the house (it seems NOBODY knows this so I'm telling you all now!)

BettyDraper1 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:35:24

tondelaya thats exactly what me and dh were just saying because really, could anybody be that stupid?

Betty4321 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:43:40

I know house prices are now crashing in London but I didn't think actual houses to collapse as well. grin

ItsAllGoodMan Wed 08-Jun-16 20:47:23

When I lived in SE London I heard of this happening a few times, funnily enough. Dodgy builders I was told

LaurieFairyCake Wed 08-Jun-16 20:58:33

You need to tell your insurance company what work you're planning before getting the builders in and ask to increase your cover

If they say you don't need to you need to get it in writing that you don't

PigletJohn Wed 08-Jun-16 21:09:11

"gradually the whole roof sagged outwards and some of it fell off."

If the roof spread, it was probably because some of the roof timbers had been cut, as often happens when people attempt a non-compliant amateur loft conversion.

Though it could also happen if a central wall supporting a join in the ceiling joists had been taken away.

Surprisingly, it's the roof that prevents the walls falling over. The triangular shape of a pitched roof is very strong and stable unless you interfere with it.

wonkylegs Wed 08-Jun-16 21:09:50

This is what can happen when you don't do things properly. No matter how much you like open plan, the structure still needs to obey the laws of physics. I suspect that if its a small building firm they will end up going bust (& opening up under another name) and the homeowner will end up out of pocket.

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Wed 08-Jun-16 21:20:24

Reminds me of that removal men song - think by Bernard Cribbons. "Right, said Fred, got to get a move one, this ere wall is going to have to go...." or however it went grin

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Wed 08-Jun-16 21:29:52

Guess the neighbours have gone from having a mid terrace to having a semi which is a bonus.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 08-Jun-16 21:33:59

I can't imagine why they would "deliberately" let it collapse? There is only a finite amount of space. All the surrounding streets are the same sort of terraces. What would be to gain from rebuilding from scratch?

KickAssAngel Wed 08-Jun-16 21:35:29

I'm surprised that the neighbours aren't a little concerned for themselves. It can't do the structure of their house much goo to suddenly have a hole next to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now