Calling all Leytonstoners!!

(18 Posts)
theothershoe Mon 06-Jun-16 22:29:52

Anyone? Any opinions?? What can you tell me? I've got appointments to see flats in three different areas:
1) Upper Leytonstone, i.e. just over the A12.
2) That southern bit down by Cann Hall Road.
3) The bit heading toward Walthamstow near Barclay Road.

Anyone got any insight into pros and cons? On my brief forays, it seems as if Leyton is a bit more up and coming...hence I quite like the Upper Walthamstow one location wise as it's an easy walk from there. Ditto the southern one. Less sure about the one going toward Walthamstow as it's a bit far from the Tube.

Bushwood would be my top choice as I'd like to be close to the flats (I've also looked in Forest Gate) but there's nothing come up in my price range that looked that promising (up to £375k max, at least 2 bedrooms).

Can anyone give me your wisdom?? Thanks in advance!!

theothershoe Mon 06-Jun-16 22:31:02

Should also say, I have also looked at the Lea Bridge Road side of Leyton...and although it's near to Clapton and Walthamstow, I still couldn't help feeling it was a bit out on a limb?

EllenTheEgret Mon 06-Jun-16 23:19:07

Ooh! Exciting smile

1) Very nice. Have a wander around hollow Ponds if you get the chance it is very pretty (possibly prettier than the flats?). You have to cross the a12 footbridge to get to the high street but I actually think this is very atmospheric and you get a great view of the shard. Not great if flat too close to the a12 though due to noise and pollution.

2) Reputation is that it's rougher and higher crime although I haven't checked the stats as to whether this is true. There are some nice restaurants opening at the bottom end of the high road though (check out Mora and Oven East).

3) Do you mean the Barclay estate? Good area. Bit of a treck to the tube but then house prices are lower. Maybe fewer nice pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance .

I would agree that Leyton is more up and coming than Leytonstone, and house prices probably have further to rise, however for me it's important to be near open spaces so the stone wins out.

What is your situation? Do you have DC's etc?

EllenTheEgret Mon 06-Jun-16 23:21:58

Oh, and IMO Lea Bridge Road itself is not that nice/a bit rough.

whois Mon 06-Jun-16 23:42:27

I think that Leytonstone is 'nicer' at the moment than Leyton however Leyton is closer to the Olympic Park (and central london) by quite some way. The investment in the OP will pull up Leyton probably, as will the influx of people priced out of hackney.

Watch for road noise the A12 is LOUD.

Some rellly nice Abrahams maisonettes on the Barclay estate although they might be above 375. I like them becase they were built as flats so no dodgy conversion issues and top and bottom get a garden.

Wild card - what about around Maryland? Not as nice certinaly and not the same access to green space - but you'll be right on an xrail station and also can walk to Stratford from the Maryland area to jump on the tube in zone 2 if travel card cost is an issue you want to minimise.

theothershoe Mon 06-Jun-16 23:58:10

Ooh. Thanks for the responses. Appreciated.

Yes, I think perhaps I should go and check the traffic noise levels again at the flat in Upper L. It didn't seem too bad at the time but sometimes it depends on time of day, doesn't it.

I haven't been to Hollow Ponds in a long time. My memory of it, funnily enough, was that it was a bit trafficky but my memory ain't great.

And yes, Maryland is a good idea though like you I value the green space. And as handy as Stratford is, it's a bit challengingly urban in places.

Thanks for the responses so far.

New question: surely if Leyton is gentrifying fast though, getting the coffee shops etc, that will, in time, spread up to Leytonstone??? Or will the Hackney effect overleap it and latch on to somewhere else....

whois Tue 07-Jun-16 01:18:09

The A12 road noise depends on day, time and also which way the wind is blowing.

Defo do a wallk around and see which roads you like and which are noisy etc. I struck off some really nice places that looked good on paper but had a constant hum which would have negated the point of a garden for me.

I think Leytonstone has nicer coffee shops and stuff than Leyton at the moment? Or maybe I just don't know where to look. Would love some recomendations!

No idea if the Hackney gentrification will leapfrog, don't see why it would (to where?) but it will take time to spread/trickle. The Olympic Park, Hckney Wick, Fish Island are is so busy and booming at the moment, especially on a hot day. Feels like Leyton is veeeeery close to that but its hard to judge if it will trickle over and how long it will take. Wesfield drains/pulls locally like all big shopping centres do. One thing for sure, there is serious regenration efforts on that area (the olympic park, xrail) to try and bring it up.

Stratford, challengingly urbab love that terminology.

I really like edge of the greenry at Leytonstone/bushwoods - think it is worth the extra 4 mins on the tube.

I'm looking at the moment so have done a LOT of walking around L, LS, Stratford and Forest Gate.. Feel like Maryland is a better bet for capital growth and a quicker journy to work from 2019 when xrail arrives properly (can afford something 5 mins from Maryland v 10 from Leyton or LS) but I didn't like the streets as much as L and LS.

Hope you find something you like :-)

EllenTheEgret Tue 07-Jun-16 07:50:06

I'd echo a lot of what whois said in her last post.

Traffic noise depends a lot on wind direction, and also the exact angle of the street/position of buildings so definitely have a good walk round and listen.

The bit of HP near the road is (unsurprisingly!) trafficky, further in its much nicer. I'd also recommend having a wander over to Wanstead Park (through Bushwood and over Blake Hall Road).

What I meant re Leyton being up and coming is really that Leytonstone has to a large extent up and come (in respect of house prices at least!) whereas Leyton has further to go. I get the impression that Leyton is attracting a slightly younger, trendier crowd than Leytonstone because of this.

IMO the level of 'gentrification' in Leytonstone is at about the right level.. there are the nice coffee shops, good local restaurants, the arts trail etc, but things still feel quite integrated rather than having a big jump between scummy cafes and chicken shops for the locals & super posh restaurants for the middle class incomers if that makes any sense at all?!

EllenTheEgret Tue 07-Jun-16 08:43:52

If you have the time, money & imagination to do this up then I reckon it could be great

I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it:
www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/40565286

EllenTheEgret Tue 07-Jun-16 08:53:33

I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/42150414

This it pretty titchy, but it is practically on Bushwood itself and if you could convert the attic it would be a really lovely place to live.

EllenTheEgret Tue 07-Jun-16 09:36:37

OK, last link and i will stop vicariously house hunting!

I found this property on the Rightmove Android app and wanted you to see it: www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/41731830

whois Tue 07-Jun-16 10:10:27

If you have the time, money & imagination to do this up then I reckon it could be great

Thats a winner. Small and ackward kitchen under the stairs but could be lovely.

DryIce Tue 07-Jun-16 13:14:52

I live around the Cann Hall bit - I really like it. I struggled a bit when I moved in having never lived so far from a train station! But I like the flexibility now being 15 min walk from a tube or the overground train (at Forest Gate, will be Crossrail at some point). And there are loads of buses.

I feel its quite an exciting area to live, even since I've moved in there have been lots of new restaurants and cafes. But it still doesn't feel too wanky, iykwim. The flats have really been what won me over - I see swans on a pond on my way to work in the city! And you can go for lovely walks to Wanstead Estate, or cycle up through Epping Forest without having to go on the roads.

However I'm biased because I live there! Leyton is also great - more centrally located, and I really love all the development around Olympic Park. Takes me 10 mins to cycle to, but you can walk from Leyton.

Good luck with your viewings!

TheCyclist Tue 07-Jun-16 13:35:10

We live just off Cann Hall road, been here knocking on for 20 years - and we absolutely love it.

Good Points:

Cheaper than other, more 'established' bits of Leytonstone (IE Bushwood and so-called Upper Leytonstone).

Housing stock is typically (and almost exclusively) two or three-bed Victorian terraces, with a garden and useful front yard. They make great family homes.

Quiet and safe.

After years (decades) of being bedsit-and-quick-turnover-rental land the area is being 'resettled' - lots of families have moved in, and the streets are becoming gradually better kept. Some 'newcomers' have spent a lot of money and time doing up their houses, removing stone cladding and replacing sash windows, etc. Some properties now look very smart indeed. When we got here, the area around Cann Hall was very run down. Now, It actually feels loved.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I know all my neighbours for about 7 households either side and opposite. It's a friendly place. We look out for each other.

It's a doddle to get into Central London. The 58 bus runs to Leyton station. The High Road is a short walk for buses to Zone 2 Stratford or Zone 3 Leytonstone 'proper' (Leytonstone is a short walk in any case). Maryland and Forest Gate (which are getting Crossrail) are nearby. I often cycle to work at Aldgate - an easy 30 minutes via Olympic and Victoria Park.

Spoilt for choice for open spaces. Wanstead Flats just around the corner, Olympic Park an easy bike ride, bus or walk away. Victoria Park a bit further.

After years of nothing but chicken shops and (mainly) stabby pubs, Leytonstone is undergoing a bit of a transformation - and as others have noted, it's creeping down the High Road. The lovely Lake House Cafe opened a few months ago, as did Chef's Corner bakery/cafe. There's also the brilliant Wanstead Tap and Hawkes' Cider on Winchelsea Road. The Rookwood Tavern is to reopen as one of Antic's pubs. There's also a lot going on at Forest Gate, a 20 minute walk away. Hackney Wick is the apex of grooviness at the moment, with all the cool bars and restaurants you'd ever need - and that's within easy reach (eight minues by bike - i've timed it).

I could blather on for hours about the good points - but you need to know the bad points.

Cann Hall Road is a racetrack. Standards of driving are woeful.

Flytipping is a problem - but not unique to this area. Litter (especially beer cans) and dog crap, ditto.

Parking is free (rumours of a controlled parking zone being introduced) - which seems to attract a number of long-wheelbase white vans taking up two parking spaces. You'll be lucky to park outside your home.

Hope this helps - any more questions, do ask. A best of luck.

TheCyclist Tue 07-Jun-16 13:39:00

Oh - forgot to add: Some of the streets are much better kept than others, especially on the Newham side of Cann Hall Road. If you ever walk to Forest Gate down Dames Road it's actually quite obvious where Waltham Forest ends and Newham begins.

mayhew Tue 07-Jun-16 13:43:59

The Leyton end of Lea Bridge Rd has just acquired a reopened station that connects to Stratford. This will attract a lot of interest. It's also on the edge of the massive Lea Valley park which has car free leisure from the Thames to Hertfordshire. Masses for outdoorsy types.

theothershoe Tue 07-Jun-16 19:52:08

Thanks for the all info. And those links, EllenTheEgret. You have a good eye!
I wasn't sure about doing major work...but maybe I should go look see. How long do loft conversions take??

I'm going to go and investigate Hollow Ponds and the A12 traffic noise.

Thanks for the insider info, all.

whois Tue 07-Jun-16 20:02:25

How long do loft conversions take??
Roughtly 30k to 50k and 4 weeks for a dormer size dependnat and if you have a bathrom or something too. Much less if you just velux and board and have a ladder. Mid range if you velux, board and staircase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now