Builders put in pvc window instead of timber.

(11 Posts)
thisisbloodyridiculous Mon 06-Jun-16 22:20:19

We're mid extension - lots of problems delays plus I'm 9 weeks pregnant and have severe morning sickness.

When discussing job with builder before it started we talked about the new room having a timber window. Plans drawn up weren't right and said pvc bit I told him they were wrong (in a few other ways too). All windows in our house are timber as it's a 200 yr old cottage in a conservation area.

Got home today the window is finally fitted. It's pvc. Wtf do I do?! The builder even gave me the name of the company allegedly making it - a joinery company. At my wits end and feeling so frustrated as every time I pull the builder up on something we're not happy with he gets snappy and tbh intimidating. I feel like I could cry

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 06-Jun-16 22:46:35

Change builders. It will be a pain in the arse short term but it'll wipe the smile off his face and you'll be happier.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Mon 06-Jun-16 22:53:59

Say to him 'I'm a pregnant woman and as such you may think I'm either irrational or a pushover, but you are wrong. I suggest you fix this, without question and do not mess with me again. Understand? Good' and then stalk off and sniffle or scoff chocolate or whatever, where he can't see or hear you.

One more thing, if he looks like answering you back, fix him with a very, very hard stare.

If all else fails tell him you don't need him to get snarky with you, you just need him to be professional and do a good job so that you're both satisfied.

whois Mon 06-Jun-16 23:43:36

Perfect approach EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard

I would like to be so brave in the face of building work!

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 07-Jun-16 09:09:52

whois I've gone through it myself, three times, each time without any backup and once with a toddler, a week old baby and various animals all making demands. It was horrible, but had to be done and they didn't know how I felt inside. My experience was that they'd totally take the pee unless you showed them you're not a pushover.

I'd you only want something reasonable e.g. A timber window to go with all the other timber Windows, then you stick to your guns
"There's no point in being annoyed with me. The job requires timber, you assured me you were fitting timber, so the window needs to be timber and not plastic"

OP is the work subject to building regulations? There will surely be longer term repercussions in a Conservation area especially, so that's another pressing reason to tackle him.

thisisbloodyridiculous Tue 07-Jun-16 09:41:58

Thanks everyone. Feeling less like a hysterical mess this morning so will use all your advice.

whois Tue 07-Jun-16 10:23:53

It was horrible, but had to be done and they didn't know how I felt inside. My experience was that they'd totally take the pee unless you showed them you're not a pushover.

That hs been my experience too.

Just think they way you have set out the approach is really good - calm, factual and strong. I shall take note for future building work!

InternationalHouseofToast Tue 07-Jun-16 10:30:18

Focus on the fact you're in a conservation area. The PVC window is wrong, is unsuitable for your property and is being changed. Stick to those facts - won't building regs refuse to sign off the work if it's a PVC window anyway?

specialsubject Tue 07-Jun-16 12:56:58

you don't need super-tech skills to tell the difference between timber and PVC, and the guy must think you were born yesterday!

take no prisoners.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 07-Jun-16 13:03:36

Yes, calm, factual and strong for sure.
Take any personality out of your conversations. 'It needs to be' or 'it was agreed that' comes across as much better than 'you said' 'you promised' or 'I want' 'This is unacceptable' is better than 'I'm not happy with'

It's good to practise some of those statements and have them up your sleeve if you need to use them.

Good luck OP.

Chapsy Wed 08-Jun-16 23:34:04

Check your paperwork. You must have commissioned the builder to order and price for the Windows as part of the build surely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now