Possible plan for selling?

(15 Posts)
Katymac Mon 06-Jun-16 20:02:55

We live in a very bottom heavy house
Lounge 11x17
Kitchen 11x17
Small utility, Porch & hall all in a line between the 2 rooms
with a 42 ft by 12 rising to 16 conservatory on the back

We still have an 80x50 garden at the back and parking for up to 6 cars at the front

Then Bedroom 1 is 11x17 & bedroom 2 is 9x11 and a good sized bathroom.

There is space for a proper staircase into a dormer loft conversion & probably 2 rooms 9x9 & 9x11 with a shower room in between (if the dormer goes all the way along the back

If we get outline planning permission for the attic conversion; is the house more likely to sell?

IceMaiden73 Mon 06-Jun-16 20:22:36

You have a 42" conservatory? Wow

Sorry I know it doesn't answer your question

Can I be nosey and see a pic please?

Katymac Mon 06-Jun-16 20:30:17

This is one half - I used to run a nursery in it

But the garden is too much for just DH & I & I'd like to downsize

Katymac Mon 06-Jun-16 20:33:18

It used to look like this

Katymac Mon 06-Jun-16 20:54:59

Anyone know anything about selling with OPP?

wowfudge Mon 06-Jun-16 20:58:40

Planning permission can be beneficial. Are there other similar houses, even without the conservatory, which have had loft conversions on the same street? They will show a precedent has been set. A local EA should be able to advise you. Drawings may well be enough. If you apply for pp, you'd need to make sure the plans had broad appeal and made best use of the space.

Katymac Mon 06-Jun-16 21:02:08

Other houses have extended but not with a large dorma

I know one of the problems in out council is the parking (there must be number of bedrooms plus 1 for an extension to be approved)

It's tricky as there aren't a lot of 4 bedrooms in the area and those there are are much more expensive (likely 100,000 more expensive

whois Mon 06-Jun-16 21:18:54

I reckon a 4 bed 2 bathroom house with that size downstairs would be more attractive than a 2 bed because realistically, without kids, the conservatory and garden are probably quite big.

Katymac Mon 06-Jun-16 21:37:21

Sadly we couldn't afford to actually convert it

I just hope the OPP would help people see past the 2 bedrooms

whois Mon 06-Jun-16 23:45:22

I just hope the OPP would help people see past the 2 bedrooms

I think it would help. Especially if you have plans drawn up which show what it would look like.

Cost would be price for 4 beds, less the work costs and a developers margin/hassel fee. Not just less the cost of the work.

Katymac Tue 07-Jun-16 01:29:25

Absolutely but possibly a thousand or two more than without

The question is how much more (& is it worth the hassle)

I feel an appt with an agent coming up! just to see

MrsDarcy4092 Tue 07-Jun-16 12:40:34

in our experience selling with planning permission has been very very helpful. It may not add value but will make it easier to sell.

We have found talking to estate agents a waste of time. THey will tell you not to bother getting planning permission as they want you to list the house ASAP.

MrsDarcy4092 Tue 07-Jun-16 12:43:09

another tip is to list the house on rightmove as a 4 bed so it appears in more peoples searches. otherwise you are only being seen by people who want 2 beds and arent fussed about doing the extension. list as a 4 bed and have 2 floor plans - the existing and the proposed. You will get much more interest.
And save money by using an online estate agent - so much better. We saved over £20k!

FoxyLoxy123 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:15:40

Our house is a 2 bed in a small village. Another 2 bed had planning permission and it has sold for more but it did take quite a while to sell too. The PP was for a car port making it a 4 bed and whacking a big kitchen diner on the back. We paid 210 in Sept that sold in March for 230. It had been up for a few months. We had offered ours within days of it being listed, so they did have to wait for the right people to come along by the looks of it.

Katymac Tue 07-Jun-16 20:57:04

It's all very complicated grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now