Exchanged Contracts on House but Buyers Solicitor still after details?

(8 Posts)
Micky999 Sat 04-Jun-16 13:26:56

Hello, have just exchanged contracts on my house and getting ready to move out in a couple of weeks. Through the process I stated that two of my windows did not have Fensa certs but I was willing to pay indemity insurance. Have never heard anything back, have now exchanged contracts and the buyers solicitor now wants details of the company who fitted the windows, I don't have this info as they were self fitted by my ex-partner both with new windows but I don't have the paperwork for them one I believe came from a local company? and the other off ebay which was new but a mis measure but the right size for me. Can they do anything about this now that contacts have been exchanged can they force me to change the windows or?? all replies appriciated.

CodyKing Sat 04-Jun-16 13:28:18

Are they first time buyers being picky?

I'd ignore if everything g is signed

specialsubject Sat 04-Jun-16 13:30:12

If you have actually exchanged, not just signed the paperwork, then too bad. Tell your solicitor to deal with it.

Micky999 Sat 04-Jun-16 13:34:05

I don't think the buyers are bothered just the solicitor ! the funny thing is the rest of the property has upvc windows from the 80's which are rubbish and obviously need changing. But after exchange isn't it too late for the solicitor to insist on stuff??

evrybuddy Sat 04-Jun-16 13:38:43

Why not just tell the solicitor the truth?

You've exchanged - it can't change anything - so what's the loss?

They're probably just filling in any empty boxes on the forms - just say there are no guarantees or warranties with the windows.

Micky999 Sat 04-Jun-16 14:09:24

All you replies are right - Thanks - you know how it is a home move is so stressful and I had just started to relax and when yet another question pops up! and I don't mind telling them I got a window off ebay it's just that they may think they are inferior or something cause I didn't get a "proper" window company in, I know am worrying about nothing but this close to move day am I just don't need the worry, thanks again

evrybuddy Sat 04-Jun-16 14:37:53

I know what you mean.

I always try to walk a line between giving people as much info as I can but not unintentionally dropping myself or anyone else in it.

I wouldn't unreasonably withhold information that was neutral.

I'd check that what I said now matched with what I said on the property questionnaire.

Then I'd probably offer that I purchased the windows off via a classified/private advert - wouldn't volunteer where - that there were no guarantees or warranties in place or offered and that they were in the same condition as when inspected for the buyer's survey.

I'd say this is the solicitor finalising paperwork and the buyer isn't even aware of it.

I'd imagine the guarantees might be the important isse if anything were to go wrong in the future - to head that off, just say there aren't any.

bookgirl1982 Sat 04-Jun-16 19:01:17

I think it is the case that Windows fitted yourselves need building regs whereas Fensa or similar are covered for that purpose? So it would not be the quality of the Windows but the minuscule risk that the council could require retrospective building regs approval.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now