Kitchen extension cost in London?

(14 Posts)
sellotape12 Fri 03-Jun-16 23:36:41

To add to my earlier dilemmas, a surveyor told us that doing a back extension on a Victorian kitchen (within permitted dev) would give "us change from £20k". Is this true? We're in London zone 2.

We had been told by a builder that a side return would cost about £60k for build and £30k in fixtures and fittings. I guess side returns cost more because they need structural work though? A back extension is not supporting any walls above.

We'd be happy with an IKEA/ Jewsons kitchen and regular appliances, although we would do basic underfloor heating and bifold doors.

Was he being unrealistic? Nobody seems to reveal what they really paid for a cost effective extension!

MrsFlorrick Sat 04-Jun-16 02:11:50

If you know the floor area you can apply the following rates.

Cheap extension with very basic finish (lino flooring or laminate, IKEA kitchen UPVC Windows etc) £1100 per square m. Plus fees plus vat.

Mid range (howdens or better kitchen. Engineered floor etc). £1300 psqm plus fees plus vat.

Higher end (bespoke solid wood kitchen solid oak flooring marble work tops etc) £1800 or more psqm plus fees plus vat.

Your surveyor was incorrect. Unless your extension is tiny (15sqm) you're unlike to get change from £20k.

sellotape12 Sat 04-Jun-16 11:13:07

Sorry MrsFlorrick, I think I'm being really really dense, but are those costs based on the overall space? Or just the added bit? blush

The current kitchen is 11.5m sq. would probably want to add another 5m sq to the end. (It would make it long and thin but can't afford to do the side return)

MrsFlorrick Sat 04-Jun-16 16:35:32

Sello. As you will need to combine the spaces and upgrade (rewire, replumb and replastered) the existing space, it's a rate for the combined space.

Given your space is only 16sqm, you should be able to get it done for the £20k mark.

However it's no good telling the building you want fancy ornate brickwork details and large frameless glass electrically controlled sky lights and frameless structural glass pivot doors into the garden. That sort of stuff would put it into the high end category and you'd be looking at £1900 to £2200 psqm instead.

Standard basic construction and fit out (French door set not bifolds) then you could get to £1100 to £1200 p sqm.

I will PM you some more info if that's ok.

onebrokegirl Sat 04-Jun-16 20:34:24

In London Zone 2 you will be very lucky to get anyone to quote at anywhere near to £1100-1200 p sqm. £2000 doesn't get you particularly 'high end' these days.

The price per sq metre is a rough guide only, as two storey extensions will come out at a better p sqm rate than single storey (a lot of the money is in the foundations, which will be pretty much the same regardless of whether you do single or double storey).

The only way to really find out is to get quotes. I have just completed a single storey rear kitchen extension (approx. 16m2 added) and had quotes which ranged from £35k to £70k and none of those included the kitchen, appliances or engineered wood floor, which came in at another £15k.

Imperialleather2 Sat 04-Jun-16 21:19:38

We're in Surrey so not quite,as much as central London but still pricey.

I think you'd be lucky to get change from £20k. We've just ordered 5 M.of sliding doors and they are £6.5k alone- bifold are similar. Obviously smaller will be less but not that much so.

Then the kitchen even if you think you're going cheap will still be at least £15k fitted I would estimate.

Then flooring and under floor heating is ££££.

We're having 30m2 built and it's coming out nearer £70k which does include quite a lot of steel but I don't think £20k.is in any way doable.

Fridayschild5 Sat 04-Jun-16 23:29:44

We are just finishing a kitchen extension on a 1930s terraced house in west London. I can't remember width of house but we have extended depth of house by 3.5m. We were quoted 50k for the building work not including the cost of the actual kitchen. This covered the actual extension with pitched roof, velux windows, converting old kitchen into a utility room, French doors, windows, electrics, plumbing etc. We have put in a benchmarx kitchen and French doors. Your surveyor is so off the mark, your builder is more realistic.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 05-Jun-16 09:17:27

I just put out a kitchen side return extension on a 30's house in zone 3 on rated people to see if people showed interest

It's 5 metres by not even 2 metres with 2 rsj's, just the side return with a roof and 3 sky lights.

Got no one interested under 30k on rated people confused

sellotape12 Sun 05-Jun-16 18:37:51

Gulp!
That's really helpful everyone thank you so much (and for the PMs)

Food for thought...

dontcallmelen Sun 05-Jun-16 21:36:03

Hi we have just had a 4x2mtr extension into our side return with aluminium grey roof lantern & grey aluminium French doors, structural work where dining room window was & French interior doors fitted. plastering, electrics, utility cupboard built with plumbing for washing machine, flooring Laid (we supplied flooring) two radiators fitted (we supplied) for £22,000.
I'm in south east London/Kent so fairly pricey area pm me if you want builders details.

Sounbelievablydull Sun 05-Jun-16 21:44:21

Ours in East London cost all in about 100k😪
It just kept adding up
Build
Kitchen
Decorating whole house was trashed basically
Furniture
Patio
garden
Think very carefully one thing leads to another ..
Ps we are v glad we have done it but we vastly underestimated the cists

Fridayschild5 Tue 07-Jun-16 21:59:57

Agree with last poster. We did loft and ground floor extension and much more. In my next life, I am going to train as a tiler, plasterer and carpenter.

divamunchkin Mon 13-Jun-16 20:10:38

Fridayschild - do you mind giving me a rough idea of your final spend. Looking at purchasing house that needs that plus decorating rest of it.

averythinline Mon 13-Jun-16 20:20:50

W London zone 4 - quoted between 45-85k for 4*6m approx not including kitchen....the 45k looked great then realised only 2 light sockets and plugs etc everything else extra....so all ended up approx 70k - haven't started yet as saving for contingency...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now