Removing bath room tiles - how big a job?

(11 Posts)
Liiinooo Fri 03-Jun-16 11:02:46

We have bought a recently converted flat on the top floor of a hotel. The bathroom is big (about 10ft square) but very poorly laid out. It has a small hotel sized bath with an over bath shower, a tiny heated towel rail ( the sort you might put in a downstairs loo) and a tiny sink and loo in the corner. It is all good quality but isn't a good use of space.
There is plenty of room to have a full sized bath and separate shower cubicle as well as a large towel rail.

It is tiled throughout - floor and walls in very large matte grey ceramic tiles. As there is no window it looks like a chic dungeon with bathroom fittings dotted around the edge. How big a job would it be to have all the tiles removed and the whole thing reconfigured to make it brighter and more practical?

Ireallydontseewhy Fri 03-Jun-16 11:08:02

I've been told removing tiles would be very time intensive - apparently it's not unusual to put new tiles on over existing tiles. I will be interested to see responses about the cost of removal, as that does seem 'better' somehow!

Believeitornot Fri 03-Jun-16 11:10:26

We had ours removed and the walls needed replastering as a result. So quite a big job but worth it

We have moved house and will have the same done again.

CodyKing Fri 03-Jun-16 11:10:56

Oh - but it's fantastic to remove the tiles!! Generally they slide off - but then I like the destructive jobs!!!

Bathroom fittings are cheep - it's the tiles and tilling that cost £££

But you don't have to tile it all - round the bath and sink is ok

Ireallydontseewhy Fri 03-Jun-16 11:20:36

Yes i remember replastering was mentioned as a possible requirement. Why is it better to remove the original tiles - i can see that way you don"t lose the space (tiny amount but may be significant in a v small bathroom) - but apart from my feeling that you 'shouldn't' tile over tiles, is there any real problem with it?

Liiinooo Fri 03-Jun-16 11:20:55

really I think the tiles would have to come off to facilitate the rerouting of the water pipes and heated towel rail.

Codyking. I am not a fan of tiles generally. If we can afford to have it all redone we would just do the shower and splash backs in something glamorous and then paint the rest.

Alwayscheerful Fri 03-Jun-16 11:28:45

I always remove the tiles carefully myself, then I bag the waste and take to the tip. Some bathrooms can be stripped in a couple of hours, the tiles will come off easily and leave the walls in good condition - especially if the tiler used a dab and daub method. Other bathrooms can take a whole day and will need more force. The tiler or DIY person might have used lots of adhesive because the walls were poor, on the other hand the walls could be damp and need replastering.
Remove the tiles carefully, remove appliances and cap the pipes and reconsider.

clearsommespace Fri 03-Jun-16 11:52:51

Ours came off fine from the internal walls but on the window wall half the plasterboard came off too. So we have just put a thin plasterboard to cover up the mess rather than replaster. No idea why they tiled that wall. It was the other end of the room from the bath/shower and the tiles were plan white (might have understood if they were statement tiles). It was a horrible dusty job but not difficult.

specialsubject Fri 03-Jun-16 20:02:32

We also had the tiled cell look. Then they began to fall off and it was easy...scary !

ExtraHotLatteToGo Fri 03-Jun-16 20:26:57

I love removing tiles. They mostly 'ping' off with a mini crowbar thing (pound shop)😁

Believeitornot Fri 03-Jun-16 20:36:19

We removed all of our tiles because we didn't want a fully tiled bathroom. I really don't like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now