Copper worktops - anyone got any experience?

(7 Posts)
crusoe16 Fri 03-Jun-16 09:09:03

I'm keen to put copper worktops in our new kitchen - DH reckons they'll tarnish terribly.

Anyone got any experience / supplier recommendations?

We're a family of 7 and I cook a lot, they will be heavily used.

Also keen on Carrara marble but I know from previous experience that stains badly.

sleepwhenidie Fri 03-Jun-16 09:14:21

I think it will tarnish (and scratch/dent easily), so it depends if that's the look you want-keeping it 'perfect' will be next to impossible. I think it would be beautiful - but also probably hideously expensive? There must be some very good reasons why you don't see them often?

sleepwhenidie Fri 03-Jun-16 09:18:12

Looking at images, if it's the colour/effect you want then a copper splash back might be a good option, or just a section of worktop, like a bar top or table in copper, which gets less punishing use? That would ease the £££ pain too (if that is a factor).

crusoe16 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:56:27

Yep, that's a good idea to have part of it copper....

I'm happy for it to dent / scratch. I'm not sure I'd be up for it going green though...wondering if it might do that??

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Fri 03-Jun-16 17:00:21

If my copper pots are anything to go by, they'd be an absolute bitch to maintain!

sleepwhenidie Fri 03-Jun-16 22:02:45

Google copper worktop images and you'll see that some (established rather than brand new) definitely have green patches...might be a lot of work necessary to avoid that confusedhmm

crusoe16 Sat 04-Jun-16 07:07:14

OK thanks ladies. Will let DH win this one I think!

Anyone used Carrara-like quartz / granite?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now