Removal prices in London

(11 Posts)
Rksreal Thu 02-Jun-16 01:16:35

Hi I'm moving home just been hit with a bomb with the quotes I've been giving from the removal company. minimum quote being £600 if i pack myself £950 is this normal prices nowadays?? Or am i being ripped off?? I don't know what to do if this is true I don't wanna get a man and van but looks like only option. 15 miles distance in moving btw 3 bedroom house. Please help shock

JT05 Thu 02-Jun-16 06:48:15

We have just moved 7 miles, not in London, but paid approx. £500 and £200 for packing. It seemed to be the going rate for an established and insured company in our area. ( Midlands)

Rksreal Thu 02-Jun-16 13:26:17

Thank you for that. Don't feel so bad now anybody else in the London??

badgerchops Thu 02-Jun-16 13:39:29

We moved about 40 miles from east London to South (just within M25), paid for them to pack (and they rebuilt all of the beds/cots in the new house) and it came to around £1100, so £500 doesn't seem too unreasonable. Having them pack everything was well worth it for our move.

southwest1 Thu 02-Jun-16 13:40:46

I'm in the process of moving from London to Liverpool. I paid £450 for the packing service, which was worth every penny and more, and it's £1600 to move everything up, should be £1800 but it went into storage first, so there was a fee to move into store so the move out is cheaper.

That's James Removals and was the cheapest of the three quotes I got.

Peppermintea Thu 02-Jun-16 15:00:38

I paid £1000 to move the contents of two flats into one, about 8 miles distance. The removal company then had to take stuff back to original place (was being let out) so had to make two journeys. It was for six hours but they carried all sorts of huge things up big spiral staircases and were excellent never broke a thing. Very easy but initially I was shocked at the expense. I packed everything myself.

Ntinyn Thu 02-Jun-16 21:44:57

I'd say £950 is fair, we paid just under £1,000 including reserving a yellow line last year to move from a two bed flat within London. We did our own packing but they dismantled and reassembled all the furniture. I wish I had used their breakables only packing sevice though, it was £300 more and would have taken a lot of hassle out of the move if you have small DC. They arrived at 8am and since we were last in chain, didn't get the keys until 4pm, they didn't leave until we were happy at 6pm. They were lovely guys, I think there were 4-5 of them and we tipped them £10 each I think (also lots of tea, cakes and unlimited biscuits)

Trills Thu 02-Jun-16 21:51:35

How many hours, how many people, and how much van/lorry do you need?

I just paid £160 for 3 men and a luton van for an hour and a half, but I was moving from a 1-bed furnished flat (so didn't have much furniture to move).

A 3 bed house full of furniture will require a proper lorry, more people to do carrying, and more hours.

nancy75 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:53:30

3 bed house to 3 bed house, se London £750, just over half a mile! A wheel barrow would have been a cheaper optiongrin

Rksreal Thu 02-Jun-16 23:00:12

@trills I would be scared to go so cheap.
Thanks to the lot of ya I let u know when i move and how much I pay. seems to be good money in the removal business I might have to switch my day job wink

Trills Fri 03-Jun-16 21:02:57

This was not really "removals", just men+van. Because I had only boxes and hardly any furniture.

But the prices are about on par, really.

At a bit over £100 an hour for 3 people and a Luton van, your £600 sounded about right.

You'd need a bigger lorry, which would cost more to start with, and 3 people would take 4 hours at least (so you'd probably get more people at a higher hourly rate).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now