A new job near Hayes - Where to live with family?

(24 Posts)
gonzalo2016 Wed 01-Jun-16 15:55:46

Hi,
My wife will be relocated in London for a new job near Hayes. We'll come there with our 3yo daughter and I'll work in the London Downtown.

I'm looking for a family-friendly area around Hayes because I'd like that my wife could be at home within 30mins commuting.

I've read a lot on internet about Ealing for instance that could be a good tradeoff for us. But I'm here to ask you an help smile

Thank you!

mrsmortis Wed 01-Jun-16 15:57:43

Where exactly are you working? 'London Downtown' could cover a huge area and it'll make a difference to recommendations.

gonzalo2016 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:12:37

Hi mrsmortis,
I've been vague because i'm more interested in My wife commuting time and a good place where live with our daughther.

Btw I should work around Victoria station

sue51 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:52:37

Ealing is good for families with lots of parks, restaurants and schools. It would be an easy commute to Victoria on the district line and Hayes isn't too far though traffic can be quite heavy if your wife wants to drive to work.

sizeofalentil Wed 01-Jun-16 21:56:09

Ealing is really nice, so are parts of Acton.

I grew up in Hounslow - people say it's on the up but it is still really, really bloody stabby there. So avoid that if you can.

gonzalo2016 Fri 03-Jun-16 13:36:30

Thanks for suggestions!

sue51 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:52:56

You might like to have a Ruislip. It's further out of town than ealing but has a sort of villagey feel with lots of open spaces.

Aethelfleda Fri 03-Jun-16 22:18:23

Is this a short or long-term move?
If long term, consider Crossrail stations (which currently head into Paddington: Hayes and Harlington is on that line, though I don't know if it's on the "fast" Crossrail bit.
You get a LOT more for your money if you go a bit further west than Ealing (eg West Drayton or Burnham/Twyford).

gonzalo2016 Sat 04-Jun-16 18:36:18

Hi Aethelfleda,
Hayes and Harlington is really close to her office!

Someone told me to avoid west drayton for instance, why?

concertplayer Sat 04-Jun-16 18:47:47

Pinner is lovely 9 miles from Hayes.
Do not go to Harrow btw

Chelsea26 Sat 04-Jun-16 19:03:52

I came on to say Ruislip - it's nice. Nice people live there grin

icclemunchy Sat 04-Jun-16 19:14:12

West Drayton is a bit rougher. We're in Greenford which is nice enough. Hanwell is nice. Or Ickenham if you want somewhere more village like

LittleWingSoul Sat 04-Jun-16 20:48:04

Uxbridge is right next door to Hayes and have lived there for the best part of 30 years! More of a busy suburban town than Hayes or West Drayton and quite up and coming with lots of new housing and a new school. Good transport links for M25/M40 and Piccadilly and Metropolitan lines. A short drive to pretty surrounding areas in Buckinghamshire good for walks and Sunday roasts... where I now live. Would move back to Uxbridge if I could though.

Uxbridge is probably a little easier on the pocket re housing costs compared to Ealing, which is also a really lovely and vibrant town with a real community spirit.

gonzalo2016 Sat 04-Jun-16 21:24:41

LittleWingSoul thank you for the description. I'll definitely take a look also at uxbridge!

Fridayschild5 Sat 04-Jun-16 23:14:52

Hayes is grim so I would avoid living there. West Drayton, Yiewsley etc not great either. It really depends on your budget.

Ealing is very expensive and you will not get much for your money. Ruislip is pricey also but cheaper than Ealing. You could try Uxbridge or Hillingdon but consider transport. Hayes is not on the tube, only overground and this part of West London is horrendous traffic wise.

I am in Ruislip but commuted to near Hayes (Stockley Park) and it was a slog despite being only 7 miles away. Check the traffic, Ealing and Ruislip have good tube links while Uxbridge and Hillingdon have the met and pic lines. Pinner is another option but again a bit further away and you will certainly have to battle the traffic.

icclemunchy Sat 04-Jun-16 23:19:57

Were in Greenford which is ok, but there's not much here. Not so much of a problem as we both drive. We often hop on the A40 and pop out to the chilterns

gonzalo2016 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:14:55

Hi Fridayschild5,
we also will work there in Stockley park that seems so difficult to be reached without a car. This is the reason why I'm asking for an help here smile

sue51 Mon 06-Jun-16 16:57:49

So will be using public transport for both of your journeys? I think of all the places mentioned, Ealing would probably be your best bet

velorbi Mon 06-Jun-16 21:20:45

I commute from Sunbury to stockley park, which is sub 30 minutes mostly. Not so good for rail into London though, west Drayton and Hayes are definitely on the up... Hayes will be a nice one day, big new Asda there, and a there's a shiny new Aldi in Yeiwsley

Muddlingalongalone Mon 06-Jun-16 21:36:34

How old is your daughter? Do you need to consider schools as well?
Ealing/Acton would potentially work well but can be pricy - so depends on budget
I would look in 2 directions depending on whether you want town or country - either along the train route - Iver, Richens Park, Langley or Hillingdon/Uxbridge/Ickenham

Stockley Park is on the A10 bus route from Uxbridge to Heathrow btw.

gonzalo2016 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:10:25

Hi Muddlingalongalone,
My daughter is 3 year old and yes, I've also to consider a nursery! I don't have a clear idea about the budget for a flat/house, I think it'd be around 1500 pcm

gonzalo2016 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:55:34

Thank you to everybody for all precious replies!

Fridayschild5 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:53:07

Hi gonzalo, as you'll probably be aware, there is very limited public transport to stockley. I drove as did most in my company. Those that took public transport generally took the train to west drayton and my company put on a bus to the office. There is a nursery also in stockley where my child went, busy bees. Very handy if you work in GSK 😉

Hillingdon might be your best bet as short commute to both sp and hayes.

gonzalo2016 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:23:30

Hi all,
I'm Still undecided about where to live smile

What to say about parkwest/drayton garden village?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now