Pipe

(8 Posts)
Littlepeople12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:08:36

Hi, I have recently moved and this pipe is sticking out of my bedroom floor. Does anyone know if it's a gas pipe or is it likely to be water? Can it be put under the floorboards as I'd like a new carpet put down. Thanks

whattodoforthebest2 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:14:15

Difficult to see what size it is. If it's only one pipe/hole I think it's likely to be gas for a gas fire - is it sited near a fireplace or somewhere where there might have been a gas fire previously? Otherwise maybe it's from central heating where a radiator's been removed, but you'd expect to see another one a bit further along the wall. Can you lift up the flooring to see what's underneath?

PigletJohn Wed 01-Jun-16 13:14:54

How old is the house?

Is it near a fireplace or chimneybreast?

Is it black iron?

Littlepeople12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:25:11

As you go in the bedroom there's a cupboard full of old pipes then this is just after that, it is on the chimney part actually so that must mean gas. Can it be put under the floorboards do you think? It's right in the way.

Littlepeople12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:29:38

This is the cupboard pipes

PigletJohn Wed 01-Jun-16 13:44:37

Ask around for a gas-safe fitter, ask if they do gas fires (some only do boilers) and say you would like redundant pipe removed. It is likely to be iron pipe . It is safer to remove it to avoid chance of future damage or leaks. If you are lucky new pipe will have been run to the boiler and cooker and the old pipes already dead.

whattodoforthebest2 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:46:42

Well if you're going to do anything to it, you'll need a Corgi registered plumber/gas fitter to do it, so ask if it can be hidden, I'm not sure if that's ok as it's a gas feed. A Corgi fitter should be able to tell you over the phone.

Littlepeople12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 15:02:53

Thanks, I have someone coming on Thursday. Hopefully it can be removed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now