Paint colour lighter than elephants breath?

(16 Posts)
MrsFrankRicard Tue 31-May-16 18:08:03

I thought I had found the right colour in F&B elephants breath, but now I have put it on the wall to try I think it is too dark, it matches my sofa exactly so it's the right sort of colour but I wanted the walls a bit lighter than that, so any suggestions?

dontcallmelen Tue 31-May-16 18:19:04

Hi Op, maybe Dulux perfectly taupe sort of grey/beigh or another Dulux one natural hessian, homebase do a colour called stone which is darker than natural hessian, but not as dark as elephant breath, might be worth a try.

MrsFrankRicard Tue 31-May-16 18:29:59

Thanks, I actually tried perfectly taupe but I thought it was similar to elephants breath and a bit too dark, funnily enough I am painting over natural hessian!! As it is a bit too yellowy against my new sofas. I will check out stone though!

DixonOfDockGreen Tue 31-May-16 20:17:31

I haven't tried any of these colours I'm about to mention, but I have read previous threads where other posters have, so this info may be of use.

Skimming stone by Farrow & Ball is lighter than Elephants' Breath but apparently from the same colour group, so maybe worth testing. Also , some people say that Dulux Mellow Mocha is similar to Elephants Breath but again is lighter.

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 31-May-16 20:19:25

B&Q valspar paints have loads of choices.

Terryscombover Tue 31-May-16 20:25:41

Sandersons Boulder White is a pale grey that also works with brown/taupe tones.

Sounbelievablydull Tue 31-May-16 22:27:21

Little green rolling fog it's really lovely and comes in three shades v similar to elephants breath- I could set up my own match pot business😥

Zampa Tue 31-May-16 22:32:07

Our sitting and dining room is in Perfectly Taupe and the kitchen cabinets are Cornforth White. They seem to compliment each other well.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 22:33:19

Does it have to be elephant related? Is that your theme?

JennyWreny Tue 31-May-16 23:01:47

I agree with a PP that F&B Skimming Stone is a lighter version of Elephant's Breath. We repainted our Living Room in EB with Skimming Stone eggshell on woodwork last year and it really is lovely. It did take a bit of getting used to the darker colour at first (had builders' magnolia before) but I love it now.

IntelligentPutty Tue 31-May-16 23:10:24

Take a look at Mylands Whitehall. I think it might suit.
http://www.mylands.co.uk/paint/colours-of-london/whitehall

lashy Wed 01-Jun-16 00:10:50

Having painted numerous F&B samples on my walls (also initially wanted Elephants Breath but was, in my opinion, much darker than anticipated), I eventually went with Skimming Stone and am delighted with the result. I used it in an East facing snug and also in a dual aspect - East / West facing living room and it works well with the light throughout the day. Also saved a lot of money by buying it from Homebase when they had their regular '3 for 2' paint offer on.

MrsFrankRicard Wed 01-Jun-16 18:20:10

OK skimming stone seems like the one to try next - will go and get a sample!

Mamia15 Thu 02-Jun-16 08:41:06

Try Egyptian Cotton by Dulux - its a pale grey with a hint of beige, I'm a fan of F&B but I love this so much that I use it in a few of my rooms.

Rigbyroo Thu 02-Jun-16 08:42:48

Fired earths 'yes your honour' is lovely.

Laquila Thu 02-Jun-16 08:46:58

Yes I came on to say Dulux Egyptian Cotton! Lovely versatile colour. I LOVE a good paint thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now