House share for single mothers

(16 Posts)
Anjali5 Sat 28-May-16 09:53:24

Hi, I would like to share a house with a single mom preferably in North Tyne side area. I am a newly qualified teacher and can't afford to rent a place by myself. I think two single moms can work things out by sharing a house. My son is 11 years old and a very well behaved boy.

FrogFairy Sat 28-May-16 12:25:52

Not sure how this would work if either or both of you are claiming tax credits or benefits. I dont know if they would treat you as a couple.

Anjali5 Sat 28-May-16 12:43:23

I am not claiming any benefits or tax credits.

SocksRock Sat 28-May-16 15:32:35

They won't treat them as a couple if they aren't a couple. Just like any house share.

concertplayer Sat 28-May-16 15:55:27

Where would you look for a suitable person?
Gumtree or the local press? Gingerbread perhaps?

awhfuck Sat 28-May-16 15:56:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anjali5 Sat 28-May-16 16:07:47

I am trying to analyse if this would work or not and thought perhaps another single mom might have a similar thought.

lalalonglegs Sat 28-May-16 19:25:52

I think it could work well if you found a house sharer who you clicked with and whose child (children) got on with yours. But it would have to be a big house to accommodate you all - four bedrooms and probably two bathroomss t least. Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper to rent a small two-bedroom flat instead until you can afford something a bit better?

Ambivalence Sat 28-May-16 22:58:57

I'm a single mum to a 10 month old dd and I've just bought a 4 bed 2 bathroom house.
I was thinking of getting a lodger in for company/ extra money, but wonder who'd want to house share with a baby except another single ..so there are people out there who want this.

I have no idea where I'll advertise though..

Anjali5 Sun 29-May-16 13:14:14

Hi, I would consider sharing it with you as long as it is near a good secondary school please PM me.

[email address removed by MNHQ as it's not a great idea to share it on a public forum]

Ambivalence Sun 29-May-16 15:52:59

Thanks Anjali but I'm not in your area, and I would only be interested in house sharing with either a single last or a single mum with a daughter a similar age to me (it's not essential to me to get a lodger..could just about manage financiallying without ). .
Not sure where you would look for someone. .there are a few posts about this sort of thing on mumsnet but only ever seen these for London. ..whereas I'm not in London. .

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 29-May-16 16:12:17

Www.spareroom.co.uk

Belleende Sun 29-May-16 18:31:06

My sister did this after her husband cheated on her and then abandoned her. She found another single mum five years later living in a much bigger and better property than they could have afforded separately.

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Sun 29-May-16 18:36:11

If you look at old threads, there have been lots of single mums in the London area, asking for sharers, so it's definitely not uncommon to do or to ask other mumneters .

hesterton Sun 29-May-16 19:56:24

Google diggers and dreamers for a slightly alternative way to live in a group!

Anjali5 Sun 29-May-16 21:58:27

Thanks Belleende and Ambivalence. Now all I need to do is connect with like minded mom with same age kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now