Help me work out where the boundaries are of some areas of Birmingham?

(15 Posts)
Fidelia Tue 24-May-16 18:49:40

There are some areas I'm thinking of buying in, but want to avoid going into some of the nearby areas by accident, or at least understand where the border is because of the effect on house prices. Can anyone help me with working out where the boundaries are between any of these areas? Road names/rivers would really help if at all possible

- Selly Oak & Weoley Castle
- Sparkhill & Moseley
- Sparkhill & Hall Green
- Acocks Green & Olton
- Quinton & Harborne
- Shirley (No idea where it stops and starts)
- Stirchley & Selly Park

weaselwords Tue 24-May-16 19:26:42

The borders of all of those are fine. You may get a bargain!

RaisingSteam Wed 25-May-16 19:32:46

I don't think it's like London where one street makes all the difference. Have you looked at a postcode map?

SellFridges Wed 25-May-16 19:42:29

Selly Oak and Weoley Castle - I've already responded on your other thread

Stirchley and Selly Park - Dog Pool Lane is a fair border I would say.

Quinton and Harborne - The Court Oak pub marks the start of Quinton for me. I've heard the borders there referred to as Quinborne.

I don't know the others so well. If you're looking at specific houses then post links and I can tell you which area I would consider them!

Fidelia Wed 25-May-16 20:15:45

SellFridges, thank you, that really helps, I know those landmarks and that makes a lot of sense smile

Helenluvsrob Wed 25-May-16 20:19:36

Eastate agents ( and residents!) will stretch things ! Good luck. You've had info about the areas I know well already. Be very careful re Weoley castle.

Fidelia Wed 25-May-16 21:58:02

Is it really that bad?

SellFridges Wed 25-May-16 22:04:01

We got on the wrong bus once and ended up have to get off in Weoley Castle. I was wearing flip flops and I remember there was broken glass everywhere. There were also loose dogs wandering around and a selection of youths hanging around.

I've been scared of it ever since!

Helenluvsrob Wed 25-May-16 23:13:31

It's not good. I agree with selfridges assessment. I'd go shopping there if I was passing through, or walk through in the day without concerns but I'd not like to live there. Used to live on the Selly oak side of lodge hill cemetery.

Like most of brum things change in within a couple of streets from " no never" to " that's nice!" Eg the bournville housing between Weoley castle and the Bristol road is very nice !

JeffyJeffington Wed 25-May-16 23:26:44

Ooh I know one! Acocks Green and Olton, the boundary (well, the 'welcome to solihull' sign)is on the Warwick Rd approx where Tesco Express garage is - so Lincoln Rd (the Warwick Rd end anyway) is Acocks Green whereas Masons Court is Olton.

Fidelia Thu 26-May-16 06:10:25

Thank you!

Fidelia Thu 26-May-16 06:13:33

So the bit between Lodge Hill Crem and Selly Oak is OK? I've seen a few possible houses there, a bit above my budget, and was wondering if it was worth getting a mortgage for that kind of thing (I'm trying to buy mortgage free)

MaximumVolume Thu 26-May-16 06:31:56

I'd say Shirley starts at Robin Hood Island, going SE from Hall Green.

Hall Green turns into Sparkhill as you cross the river Cole on Stratford Road. HG turns into Tyseley at Shaftmoor Lane.

Moseley turns into Sparkhill along the boundary of the section of Yardley Wood Rd which is north of Wake Green Rd.

disclaimer I'm not an expert but grew up in Hall Green/ Moseley. Hall Green generally has a B28 postcode, Moseley B13 & Sparkhill B11.

MagdaS Thu 26-May-16 06:41:49

Maximum is right with those boundaries.

I grew up in Hall Green and my mum and dad lived there until earlier this year so was a frequent visitor.

BTW crossing the River Cole from Hall Green to Sparkhill to get yourself to the amazing curry house in the former church building just on the other side is worth a site visit. grin

DoItTooJulia Thu 26-May-16 06:46:04

The ward boundaries are changing. At one point Moseley village wasn't going to be in Moseley ward!

So if keep an eye on that. The area you're looking at is due to have a whole new name: I can't remember it right now, but I'll come back and update when my brain wakes up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now