Kitchen internal storage

(7 Posts)
ilovetosleep Fri 20-May-16 14:25:25

We are getting our new kitchen from Shaker Kitchen co (hurrah, didn't think we could afford a painted kitchen til we found them)

We've ordered the kitchen with no internal storage as we're on a tight budget but I was just wondering if we can retro fit this at a later date, and can I buy it from anywhere eg will the b&q stuff fit any kitchen? I'm thinking mainly corner carousel thing and maybe a wire pull out inside one of the base cupboards.

And where's the best place to look?
Thanks!

Clarabumps Fri 20-May-16 14:34:24

Dp is a kitchen fitter and he says pull out units are usually made for 300, 500 and 600 wide units. Wire units can be bought from anywhere as long as they're the same size.
The round plastic carousels corner units that are in an L shape in a corner cannot be fitter once worktops are on. and they always break

He says that internal storage actually minimises what space you have to use. Pull out drawer units are fancy but they don't maximise storage. His advice is to buy more shelves.

Hope this helps

PigletJohn Fri 20-May-16 14:49:13

IMO the pan drawers are the best thing ever. Preferably in an 800 or 1000mm unit, rather than a 600, so you can fit in big pans with the handles going sideways, and cutlery/utensil shallow drawer at the top.

See if you can get matching drawer fronts, otherwise you would have to use internal drawers and open the cupboard doors to find the drawers inside. Blum and Hafele are two good brands. You can fit them at any time after buying the kitchen. The door packs may be sold without the wooden bottoms and backs, and need assembly.

Other fittings are available from places like here

Sometimes they are offered on ebay. Suppliers may or may not be as reliable.

Magic corners and slide out larder racks seem to be particularly prone to going wrong.

Lemansky Fri 20-May-16 15:50:33

We found that getting things like the handy shelves and the expandable shelf organiser from Lakeland were our preferred option instead of getting the carousel corner units and much cheaper! Less likely to break as well.

RaisingSteam Fri 20-May-16 16:58:33

If it's an in-frame painted kitchen you are likely to find only the inner storage that the manufacturer uses will fit it - the front opening is smaller so standard wire drawers etc won't fit through.

IMO pull out drawers /wire baskets in base units are great, corner carousels not.

ilovetosleep Fri 20-May-16 20:46:23

Thanks for all the replies. Good point about the framed kitchen and it not fitting! The kitchen co can supply a magic corner but I don't want that, I'd rather have a carousel. As for the base cupboard I think pull out drawers might be a good option for condiments/spices etc. we will already have 2 big sets of pan drawers, I was just thinking of a mini larder type pull out on a 500 base unit to the right of the island hob, for oils etc.

I'll look into those links above, thanks all

Hufflepuffin Fri 20-May-16 23:01:50

Are you handy? It's possible to diy pull out shelves. http://www.ana-white.com/2015/05/free_plans/convert-cabinet-shelf-pull-out-drawer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now