Insisting ea still markets my property even though its under offer

(9 Posts)
sandrabedminster Tue 17-May-16 15:51:34

I've accepted an offer from someone who seems pretty unreliable but its a good offer.

Ea says they won't show anyone else around and will mark it on RM as sold.

Its pretty likely they will back out. Am I OK to insist they don't cancel other viewing and carry on marketing it? I've said I only want it marked as sold once they have a exchange date on their property.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 17-May-16 15:54:46

As buyers we insisted that property taken off market as when you are forking out for surveys etc the last thing you want is someone gazumping you.

Why do you feel they are unreliable?

ExtremelyConfidential Tue 17-May-16 16:08:09

Depends what is communicated and agreed with your buyer. If you accepted offer on condition it's taken off the market then take it off the market

But....

In English law no property is sold until exchange of contracts. That's life. I would not be withdrawing from market until my solicitor advised exchange was possible within a fortnight, Max.

When the "rich" stamp duty levels were introduced couple years ago, loads of transactions were miraculously exchanged within a matter of hours. I've sold/exchanged on a house within 48 hours. There's no mystery to it....just a professional aligned process which doesn't waste time left right and centre.

The UK standard conveyancing process however is the most inefficient known to mankind and I personally think it's nuts to take a property off the market with absolutely zero guarantee of a sale agreement.

Your EA is a lazy bum.

HereIAm20 Wed 18-May-16 15:25:36

It would be usual to take it off the market if there was a closed chain/no chain but kept on the market if that wasn't the case.

specialsubject Wed 18-May-16 15:34:48

offer to exchange in 48 hours is very clever when searches take much longer than that to come back. Even arranging a survey that fast is impressive. How did you do that?

Popskipiekin Wed 18-May-16 15:40:57

special grin indeed, I am also intrigued! It took us 4 weeks to exchange with ours and people said that was pretty quick.

Sandra what others have said, if offer was conditional upon property being taken off the market then you will have to do that. If not, then EA is working for you and if you don't want it taken off the market they should have to keep it on.

sandrabedminster Wed 18-May-16 19:15:59

Oh my acceptance of the offer was clearly on it not being taken off the market!

Anyway they pulled of now, as I expected they would do. They did give all the signs of being really unreliable.

Its annoying these people giving offers just because it means nothing!

Should be make an offer and pay 10% deposit. Then if you withdraw you loose the deposit. Private searches can be done in 8 days apparently.

cansu Wed 18-May-16 19:21:52

Well I don't think paying a deposit so early would be fair. Problems with houses usually come to light during searches, surveyors reports and even in the case of the one we eventually bought on the vendors property info. Estate agents and vendors lie about all sorts of stuff.

sandrabedminster Wed 18-May-16 21:49:17

It works in other countries

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now