Wood burning stoves with boiler for winter?

(4 Posts)
Fwaffy Sun 15-May-16 11:15:49

Currently starting to build a new house and looking at heating options.

We're going for solar in the summer months and looking at what to use for winter.

We're in a mild, rainy climate, chilly but not generally snowy in winter, and house will be very well insulated but not passive. We were advised about oil or wood pellet boilers but we have a few acres of land and are growing our own firewood. We'd like to not be dependent on external fuel if at all possible.

My question is has anyone gone down the route of wood burning stoves with back boiler for hot water/radiators? We've found some good options on these but I'm presuming there'll be a good bit of work in keeping it fed and cleaned daily. I'm okay with that (though I'd love to hear others' experience) but just want to make sure we can get sufficient power from it to keep us in hot water and a warm house for the rainy winter months.

Anyone have one or any advice? Thanks!

Adsss Sun 15-May-16 20:58:44

We have a mixed system where it all gets stored in a very well insulated water tank.
First level gets heated by solar, if that does not get hot enough the oil boiler kicks in. However we also have the wood fire feeding in and have that feeding the tank lower than where the oil kicking in happens IYSWIM, so when the fire is run the oil boiler is not needed.
The tank only loses a degree or two over a few days so for a lot of the time its fine on solar and fire. Depends how much you run off it and at what point you program it to kick in the oil. Water is always at max temperature where is runs off even if most of the tank is not hot so can leave a break between fires.

PigletJohn Sun 15-May-16 21:29:29

I would certainly go for a multifuel rather than a woodurner. There is a lot more energy in a bucket of solid fuel than in the same amount of wood, and it will burn longer. Even if you mostly use wood, it can he very handy to have a few bags of solid handy, e.g. if you are ill, run out, or the weather is very bad.

IME multifuels are better built and cleaner burning, but perhaps there are good woodburners? I used to burn kitchen waste and rubbish in mine as well.

Fwaffy Mon 16-May-16 13:35:10

Thanks both for the advice. I might look into the multifuel option. As you say Pigletjohn, I wouldn't fancy having to chop wood while battling flu!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now