Advice on telling a landlord you are pregnant

(11 Posts)
CamMc Sun 15-May-16 10:51:30

Without going into long details, my husband and I have been living in a three bed house for the last three years which his parents bought him ten years ago (they live abroad). I am 21 weeks pregnant. His mother has suddenly decided she wants to move back to London before the baby is born. His parents are very difficult to live with - we have them for three months of a year - and have been staying with us and verbally attacking me for the last month.

So here's my question. We have decided we must move out but can only afford a one bedroom flat for the first year. Do we need to tell the letting agents or landlord? We will be looking for a place with think walls and child friendly etc, but only have a month or so to sort this out. Any advice??

specialsubject Sun 15-May-16 11:53:31

Not a problem as long as it isn't somewhere with a no children restriction - some flats have that.

And as long as you can afford the place with an imminent income drop, of course

But why doesn't your husband tell his parents to leave your house?

ShutYerCakeHole Sun 15-May-16 11:58:20

We had to look for a new flat when I was heavily pregnant, no agents or landlords batted an eyelid. Ime it's not really their concern.
Congratulations, I hope you manage to find somewhere!

winchester1 Sun 15-May-16 12:01:02

I wouldn't expect tenants to tell me, mine have as it goes but its really none of my business.

WhirlwindHugs Sun 15-May-16 12:02:31

I wouldn't mention it personally, as long as the flat accepts children. Good luck! Sounds really stressful.

Lightbulbon Sun 15-May-16 12:03:13

It's absolutely none of their business.

Don't mention it.

CloneMeNow Sun 15-May-16 12:24:14

If you are obviously pregnant when looking, the agent will probably tell the LL.

CamMc Sun 15-May-16 12:30:49

Thanks everyone. That's really put my mind at rest. It's only obvious I'm pregnant if wearing a tight top so as you say it's whether the agent notices. We can afford payments etc so it really shouldn't be a problem.

specialsubject My parents in law have essentially said the house was never ours (despite my husband paying for it for ten years). There's no mortgage and it's their name. A lot to take on without much warning but it'll all be for the best I'm sure!

specialsubject Sun 15-May-16 12:39:24

Ah.

Doesn't matter if you are spherical, as long as you can afford the place and are happy with the space, its fine. Good luck!

Obeliskherder Mon 16-May-16 12:48:02

Don't worry about the landlord side, it's a baby not a rottweiler.

In my, albeit limited, experience, 60-70s builds have better sound insulation than pre-WW1 and 1980s+ properties. But lots of people bring up children in flats, it's very normal. I'm just sorry you have the stress of losing your home.

TurquoiseDress Mon 16-May-16 13:32:02

We live in a rented flat- when I was pregnant/had the baby it never crossed my mind to tell the agents/landlord.

Of course, we just carried on paying the rent as normal.

I can see where you're coming from as you're looking for a new home while pregnant...but really I's say that it's not really any of their business, so long as you can pay the rent that's all they seem to care about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now