Head or heart when it comes to flooring?

(7 Posts)
dulcefarniente Sun 15-May-16 09:22:18

I need to replace my existing flooring downstairs. I've never been keen on hard floors because I tend to think they look industrial/commercial rather than homely, don't find them very comfortable as a surface to walk on and the noise issues (I live in a semi and can hear the neighbours moving their chairs across their hard floor every time they have a meal).

OTOH I'm a single parent working full time whose pet likes to bring "presents" home so the existing carpet gets a battering and is why I need to replace it.

Realistically I need to go for the practical option don't I?

icklekid Sun 15-May-16 09:24:21

Hard flooring with lovely rugs that are easier to clean? There are a huge variation in hard flooring such as real wood, karndean, tiles, lino etc... it might be you prefer one a lot more than others.

dulcefarniente Sun 15-May-16 09:45:59

Real wood would be out of my price range so not an option. I used to have a lovely textured rug but it was a nightmare to keep clean and Lego etc free. I think it would have to be more of a large mat than a snuggly rug.

Hufflepuffin Sun 15-May-16 12:32:17

Cork! Bouncy and soft and homely, but still wipeable and doesn't cost a fortune.

dulcefarniente Sun 15-May-16 22:56:32

Huffle - isn't that more for a bathroom floor?

Hufflepuffin Mon 16-May-16 08:51:01

We had it in the kitchen living room growing up and my friends have put it in theirs recently.

whois Mon 16-May-16 09:49:48

I would ago for tiles in kitchen and bathroom. Engineered wood in dining room if have a separate one. Carpet everywhere else and keep the kichen door shut so the cat can;t bring gifts into the sitting room!

Can get quite nice carpets cheaply, much warmer and a steam clean works wonders on them if they do get mucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now