Tell me about Shrewsbury

(17 Posts)
Singbluesilver Sun 15-May-16 07:55:57

Want to relocate from south east to a more peaceful rural setting.
I got a really good feeling about Shrewsbury when we visited, it just seemed so friendly and less crowded, beautiful surrounding villages, less traffic, and a really nice place to live, especially with young children.

Am I right? I really hope I am...

specialsubject Sun 15-May-16 10:08:21

I live reasonably nearby and I think you are absolutely right - having done a similar move. Stay west of the town and a traffic jam is five cars. There's work, transport, loads to do and see - ssh, don't tell anyone!

The only thing to note is that the hospital will probably close in the next few years, leaving you nearly an hour from a and e. Don't get ill in Shropshire .

firesidechat Sun 15-May-16 11:35:13

It's prone to flooding (they may have sorted that now) and it's very nice.

firesidechat Sun 15-May-16 11:36:14

primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/riversevern/shrewsbury.html

specialsubject Sun 15-May-16 11:48:29

There are indeed bits that flood all along this part of the Severn - mostly there are no houses where it happens, and Shrewsbury has sacrificial car parks to take the water. Do,check, especially with new builds because the council will pass almost any planning. Established properties should!d be OK but some villages do get flooded roads.

TattyCat Sun 15-May-16 13:06:16

It's lovely. I live nearby at the moment although we're moving to Ludlow in the next few months. It has some good schools and the traffic is definitely lighter than almost anywhere else in the country! The motorway network is good as you're almost at the end of the M54, although joining up with the M6 is a complete nightmare so getting anywhere from the other end of the M54 is hideous. It's a lovely, lively town with plenty of independent shops as well as the high street chains, so shopping is never a problem unlike the rest of Shropshire. There's a lot going on so it's not a sleepy town at all. Keep away from Telford though - it's not great.

Singbluesilver Sun 15-May-16 13:16:31

Thank you very much for all your replies. I'm so relieved my good feelings about the place are correct.

Both dh and myself both looked at each other as we walked around and both said this is the place we want to bring our children up, we both had massive smiles on our faces.
I'm so happy you guys have confirmed this too.

And Special, I won't tell a soul!Although if Escape to the Country keep showing more beautiful Shropshire episodes, there may be more of us smile

specialsubject Sun 15-May-16 15:12:24

smile. Feel free to PM me for more detail. I love it in Shropshire.

cherry17 Sun 15-May-16 21:02:11

Hi OP I am from Shrewsbury area (although I don't live there at the moment). It is a great place to live and raise a family and I wouldn't have left but work options were limited in the sector I work in. Shrewsbury is a lovely town so with much character and the restaurant scene is very vibrant with loads of lovely independent places. I miss that aspect so much! The surrounding areas are lovely too, consider Baschurch or Ruyton if you want a more village feel.
I think you will really enjoy living there so good luck with your decision/move!

Singbluesilver Sun 15-May-16 22:08:31

Thanks Cherry! We have seen some houses in Baschurch, it looks lovely.
I think we have made our minds up.
Adventures to be had in Shropshire!

Choughed Sun 15-May-16 22:19:32

I lived in Shrewsbury but moved to the south west 6 years ago. I found it pretty but the people were generally dour (sorry Salopians grin) and job prospects were nil. It was also too far from the sea for me.

I would imagine that it would be heavenly after the south east though.

specialsubject Mon 16-May-16 09:47:38

Really? I find a normal mix of people and moods. Also lots seem to have moved around, worked away, lived abroad and so know a good place when they see it.

2 hours to the coast, yes. As seen on the map.

Singbluesilver Mon 16-May-16 11:05:07

We found everyone to be super friendly, so much more than we are used to!
I love the sea too, but as soon as we saw the Shropshire hills, we were just blown away.
I really appreciate all advice/replies, everywhere has good and bad points I suppose.

Choughed Mon 16-May-16 11:38:55

Maybe I was the dour one, missing the sea wink

Singbluesilver Mon 16-May-16 11:51:39

Choughed nothing beats a bit of sea air! My mother gets withdrawal symptoms if she's not been to the coast in a while... Hopefully she'll visit us in Shropshire wink

Anjelika Sun 21-Aug-16 20:29:17

Really pleased to have found this thread as we are contemplating the reverse move to Choughed - moving from the South West. We visited Shrewsbury last September and really liked the place. I spoke to an estate agent before we visited to try and get a feel for the sort of areas we might like but would really appreciate some feedback from mumsnet members! Our DCs are 9 and 6. We would be looking at state schools. At the moment we live in a good sized 4 bed terrace but are feeling a bit hemmed in and want some space around us, off-road parking and a garage. So, where could we get a nice detached property, but not too cut off for the teenage years, preferably in an area with families with kids of similar ages?

Anjelika Wed 31-Aug-16 11:34:05

Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now