Pine furniture

(6 Posts)
Sunnyshores Sat 14-May-16 12:43:19

Ive got various bit of pine furniture, all brought over 20 years, none of it really expensive but each bit was really nice - heres the various overhyped ways they were described scrubbed pine kitchen table, aged pine sideboard, vintage 1930s kitchen dresser and in our new house a handbuilt reclaimed pine kitchen.

Anyway, our new house has open plan kitchen/family/dining room and all the above is now in the same room - and although I dont want it to look exactly the same it all looks a bit crap and jumble sale-y.

Is there a wax or something I could use on the vintagey bits so at least they were the same colour?

ShirleyNott Sat 14-May-16 12:52:14

Why not Sand them all down and paint them all white?

Sunnyshores Sat 14-May-16 16:42:40

I dont really want to paint them - maybe the kitchen table - they're really nice old pine and our previous house where they were in 3 different rooms it was fine.

Now the dresser looks a bit bleached, bare wood, next to the sideboard which looks a bit knotty, next to the table which looks a bit rough and dirty, next to the kitchen units which loook handmade (they are!).

Wax, oil, stain?

Perbsy Sat 14-May-16 16:47:27

Liming wax gives a whitish grainy look. I've done a new waxed pine table with it and it looks good.

If you want darker, use coloured Briwax.

wowfudge Sat 14-May-16 19:18:03

I think I'd sand the table down to refresh it if it's got ingrained dirt from use. You can buy wood dye and coloured waxes so with a bit of experimentation I'm sure you could even them up.

dontcallmelen Sat 14-May-16 22:01:02

I second briwax, you can get it in different shades, I used on new pine door & frame to match in with original really old pine doors.
Sanded then applied with very fine wire wool, buffed it with lint free cloths & waxed, cant tell the difference between the old & new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now