£120-140K to spend on 2-3 bed house in south Birmingham - where would you want to live?

(27 Posts)
Fidelia Sat 14-May-16 07:09:30

I'm going to have £120-140k to spend on a 2 or 3 bed house in south Birmingham.

I'm going to rent it out to start with, and later, move in myself eventually (I'm in accommodation provided by work atm).

If you had that amount of money to spend, where would you buy? Or what sort of amenities would you be looking for?

CodyKing Sat 14-May-16 07:28:28

The issue with south Birmingham is that it's a bottle neck into the city - huge delays -

So I would look at nearby transport avoiding the bottle neck

Edgbaston and harbourn maybe too expensive but they are good areas

Shelly Oak is the land of the student - so over crowded and busy with take always and temporary renters

Non idea on Quinton - what do you need from the place?

DoItTooJulia Sat 14-May-16 07:35:52

Cody is right, if you need to commute into the city centre it's a crawl at rush hour (or actually between 7 and 10 am and 3 and 7 pm!!!)

Stirchley is getting quite trendy (despite the huge tesco that's due). Your budget is going to struggle in Moseley, Kings Heath, Harborne, Bournville. Yardley wood might do it, or some of the new builds in Shirley may be a possibility?

Where do you like?

Fidelia Sat 14-May-16 07:49:19

I know the following areas a bit:

Northfield
Bartley Green
Stirchley
Cotteridge
Selly Oak
Harborne
Quinton
Kings Heath
Bearwood

Is Stirchley up and coming? And where will the new Tesco be?

I've pretty much ruled out Harborne, Kings Heath, nice bits of Edgbaston, Bournville and Moseley on cost grounds. They are lovely though!

Is all of Shirley nice? And how do I tell when it crosses into a not nice bit? Same with Yardley Wood?

My main thing is having a nice home for renters, and later, for me. Not into flats because of the ground rent/maintenance fees. I have a low income so wouldn't be able to afford them if I had a long blank period. I'm aiming to buy mortgage free for the same reason.

DoItTooJulia Sat 14-May-16 08:13:51

The new tesco is in the one way bit by the British Oak pub. Apparently the bowling alley will become a Lidl too. They call the Oxford street area the west end of the south of Birmingham, but that's just ea speak. It's all small terraces with no drives. But full of character and the British oak has just been bought by the people behind the trendy Prubce of Wales, Moseley, so that gives a bit of an idea of the direction it is going in.

Parts of all areas are less nice than others, it's just a case of seeing what your budget gets you I suppose. Parts of yardley wood border Moseley and can be lovely-big gardens, drive ways, quite a lot of house for your money.

Same with KH some bits very expensive, some bits a bit rough. Have you got to consider schools?

BeckyWithTheMediocreHair Sat 14-May-16 08:17:30

Most of Shirley is fine, although some hits are noticeably shabbier towards Acocks Green.

How about Olton? The Damsonwood area near to Jaguar Land Rover is good value. Or - and others will cringe at this - but if HS2 happens then it will stop at Birmingham International and I think might have a knock-on effect to improve Chelmsley Wood. It has a poor reputation at the moment however.

Are schools a consideration?

CodyKing Sat 14-May-16 09:26:12

And how do I tell when it crosses into a not nice bit?

There are a certain type of housing that the council built - they stand out - rough areas tend to be really shabby - peeling paint - rough gardens etc

You need to go and have a good root round -

MightyMeerkat Sat 14-May-16 16:49:45

I'd suggest Cotteridge/Kings Norton/Stirchley - nice terraced houses with good sized gardens and near train station for 10 minute commute into the city centre. They have local shops, lots of green space and s nice feel to them. Your money will go much further there too.

SellFridges Sat 14-May-16 16:52:49

I feel like I have to say this monthly on here at the moment. You will struggle to buy a two bed in most of the area's mentioned for your budget. You certainly won't get a three bed.

Cotteridge is £150k plus, Stirchley is more or less the same.

SellFridges Sat 14-May-16 16:58:52

Here's one in Cotteridge actually - top end of your budget.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36358431.html

DoItTooJulia Sat 14-May-16 19:37:23

That's fab SellFridges. Would rent well too I imagine.

Fidelia Sat 14-May-16 23:00:49

Thank you. Although I won't have to worry about schools too much for myself, a better catchment area would help with getting tenants.

So I may struggle a bit for the money for a Victorian type house, but what about the Pineapple estate in Stirchley?

SellFridges Mon 16-May-16 09:41:11

I'm not sure about the Pineapple estate. It's certainly not somewhere I would recommend that people move to and I would never live there myself. Sorry.

There are a couple of one bedroom apartments remaining in The Franklin for £140k. They would rent VERY well and are beautifully kitted out.

MightyMeerkat Mon 16-May-16 09:56:35

Be careful with service charges for new build apartments. One of my friends owns a flat in the city centre and her service charge is £3000 a year!

CodyKing Mon 16-May-16 16:22:34

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41898177.html#_map-view

Not quite south! But edgbaston is good

CodyKing Mon 16-May-16 16:25:12

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51534976.html

Like this - but needs some gardening!

CodyKing Mon 16-May-16 16:28:36

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59457422.html

This is so cute! Detached !!!

CodyKing Mon 16-May-16 16:34:32

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57122477.html

This one is 3 bed

Fidelia Tue 24-May-16 13:51:58

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to concentrate on these areas:

Cotteridge
Stirchley
Northfield
Adams Hill end of Bartley Green

I'n going to have a look at Shirley and Olton and fin.d out a bit more

What do people think about the bit between Selly Oak and Weoley Castle?

Fidelia Tue 24-May-16 14:17:52

SellFridges - where is The Franklin, please?

SellFridges Tue 24-May-16 15:26:45

The Franklin is on Bournville Lane, right by Bournville station.

The area between Selly Oak and Weoley castle is ok. You'd potentially rent to medics and students who don't want to be centre of Selly Oak. It's definitely an OK area.

Fidelia Tue 24-May-16 15:58:01

Thank you smile Now to work out where exactly Weoley Castle begins....

SellFridges Tue 24-May-16 20:00:28

If you look on the roads between Gibbons Rd and Weoley Avenue - they're the ones I was thinking of. Not sure of prices precisely though - suspect they might be slightly more than you wanted to pay.

Helenluvsrob Tue 24-May-16 20:07:14

Come to Northfield or the new build stuff by m&s in Longbridge smile

Helenluvsrob Tue 24-May-16 20:07:49

Avoid weoley castle proper though it's s bit rough !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now