Oven next to wall, or a long way from hob. Which to go for

(7 Posts)
LaughingHyena Fri 13-May-16 12:20:04

So we've had several kitchen designs drawn up, as always they each have some compromises.

Option 1. An eye level oven, but right next to the wall. Will it be a pain getting things out of the oven and will spitting fat etc make the wall next to it a mess.

Option 2. An eye level oven, but away from the hob area. I do brown meat/start casseroles on the hob before transferring to the oven, so the distance is not ideal. There isn't a natural place to put hot things when getting them out of the oven, other than the draining board, which we usually have a draining rack on.

option 3. Stick with the oven under the hob as it currently is. However that leaves a couple of small cupboards either side which is one of the aspects of the current set up which I really don't like.

lalalonglegs Fri 13-May-16 12:55:45

I'd put oven next to the wall - I don't see the problem. I cook quite a lot and have never had food from the oven spit so furiously that it has spoiled the surrounding area. If it is a concern, use a wipeable paint or redo that section every now and again.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 13-May-16 13:27:17

Eye level oven next to wall. Agree with previous poster, spitting next to wall not an issue. You'll have a few centimetres between the wall and the oven (housing / frame of oven) so not a problem.

Mrsladybirdface Fri 13-May-16 15:39:53

Yep ours is next to the wall..no issue here

LaughingHyena Fri 13-May-16 17:09:33

Excellent, good to know others have an oven next a wall without problems.

Wipeable paint is a must anyway, kids + food = fingerprints!

PigletJohn Fri 13-May-16 17:34:32

eye level oven, preferably a double, is better than under the hob, where you will have to stoop. Have a couple of pan drawers under the oven.

There is no reason why it needs to be close to the hob, except perhaps when you are making gravy.

However you will need an electrical cooker outlet beside both positions. This might require at least one new circuit. It will mean that if you desire to change the layout, you have two places a cooker can go.

zippyzloppy Fri 13-May-16 17:49:56

We have a dishwasher next to the wall (not an oven I know, but still makes lots of mess), and we used to have loads of splashes and greasy looking marks on the wall. The soution was to buy a piece of 6mm toughened glass from a local glazier (won't be more than £120 or so dependant on size), paint the back with 3 or 4 coats of a gloss colour the same as the wall, and stick it on the wall with Dow Corning 747 mirror adhesive. Looks great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now