How to paint over water damage, pics included.

(8 Posts)
TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Tue 10-May-16 13:14:55

We had a leak a couple of weeks ago that lead to a few ceilings needed repainting due to staining from the water. Was advised to let it dry out for a week then sand and put a coat or to of oil based undercoat then emulsion as normal. I have done all the above and to me there really seems to be no change, there is quite a large area to cover. The photos are of two separate areas after using the method above. Any ideas? Thanks

dementedpixie Tue 10-May-16 14:04:35

Maybe try paint specifically designed to cover stains.

justwhatineeded Tue 10-May-16 14:22:35

Are you sure that the water has fully dried?

You can use stain block which stops the stain showing once applied

www.amazon.co.uk/Polycell-SS250S-250ml-Stain-Stop/dp/B000TAWG7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462886436&sr=8-1&keywords=stain+block

PigletJohn Tue 10-May-16 14:35:15

I think it is still wet. Have a look under the floor upstairs.

Stainblock is made for the job.

TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Tue 10-May-16 15:57:40

Thank you, will get some stainblock, guessing you apply it like normal emulsion? As far as I can tell its dry, it feels dry to touch and not soft and sponge like anymore. The room above has ceramic tiles so can't feel the floor underneath them.

TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Tue 10-May-16 15:58:46

Just looked at link and see its an aerosol so ignore my question about how to apply the stainblock.

PigletJohn Tue 10-May-16 17:12:49

I wouldn't use an aerosol. If you try to spray a ceiling, most of the paint will fall down onto the carpet, the furnishings and the painter.

A tin will also be cheaper.

It is available in any DIY shed or paint shop, also some hardware store who carry a good range of decorating supplies.

Do please try to verify that it is no longer damp. A week is not enough if the floorboards above were not lifted to allow air circulation.

Examples:
www.diy.com/search/results/?question=stain+block

www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-stain-block-white-750ml/57548?_requestid=211662

though I would go for a major brand.

wowfudge Tue 10-May-16 17:19:26

Stain Stop (made by Polycell) is really thick. I found the best way to apply it was using a small gloss roller. It's an absolute swine to put on using a brush unless you are looking to cover a very small area.

I've also used the spray in the past that is messy - as PJ stated - unless you are covering a small area.

I would be surprised if a leak as big as that had dried out in a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now