curved edges on kitchen worktops - possible with laminate?

(7 Posts)
runningLou Mon 09-May-16 10:32:46

We are having a new kitchen on a strict budget. We don't have loads to spare and are natural penny-pinchers anyway!
I would like a couple of curved ends to worktops in my ideal layout, and also an island with curved corners.
Does this look awful in laminate? Do we need solid timber?
Or if using some kind of composite alternative, what are the good, decently priced ones?

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 10-May-16 17:02:26

Square edge laminate is ok for curves etc - but anything curved usually has an extra price attached ! The standard bull nosed worktop can be cut to curve but the bullnose comes off and is left square edged - so you may not like the change of look . Why not shop around for you ideal surface and hopefully you will be able to find an option that suits your style and budget !?!

runningLou Tue 10-May-16 18:36:11

Thank you that's a really good point about the bull nose laminate - hadn't thought of that!
I love the look of natural wood worktops and would go for oak every time, just worried about staining / water around sink etc.

runningLou Tue 10-May-16 18:37:22

Am thinking maybe oak for island top and something else in rest of kitchen, near sink, hob and dish washer? Or would that look odd??

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 10-May-16 20:30:26

That would be fine !

runningLou Tue 10-May-16 22:02:55

Any composite worktop recommendations?

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 11-May-16 11:21:01

Not really ?! So many to choose from and so many variants - not just in colours - if you are going to corner join anywhere go for a pattern that is good for hiding joints ( not veined marble effect that accentuate corner joints )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now