Would you rent to us?

(8 Posts)
NatashaRomanoff Fri 06-May-16 20:55:44

We desperately want to move: our current rented property just doesn't meet our needs anymore.

We have now found a property that we would love to take on but there's been a bit of interest from other parties. We have offered to pay a holding deposit but the landlord wants to see if anybody else also offers before deciding.

The property is a 4 bed, probably 3+ years of renting - we want long term. We are a family of 5, both work and have 3 small children. We meet the 2.5 times annual rent income before any tax credits are taken into account, we are not eligible for any other benefits bar child benefit. We have a fair credit history, though there are two 5.8 year old CCJs not yet wiped from credit files. We can provide a guarantor. Our current and landlord reference can (will?!) prove that we've never missed a payment, of course, have kept the place appropriately and not caused any issues.

Would you let to us? I'm very worried that we will lose our dream house.

NatashaRomanoff Fri 06-May-16 20:57:03

Just to clarify - the landlord hasn't refused us specifically, they just told the agents not to accept any holding deposits from viewers today before all viewings had taken place. We we're number 2 of 3.

specialsubject Fri 06-May-16 21:13:55

With the guarantor to ovrrride the ccjs, and also secure against job loss, if my insurers were happy then I would be too.

MyLocal Fri 06-May-16 21:21:53

It would depend on any other offers. I feel for you, but if i were a landlord and the other offer was a couple with one child and an excellent credit record I would pick them.

I have kids, I come from a big family, if I was letting a nice home, one child knocking lumps out of skirting boards would be preferable to three. A couple with no CCJs would be preferable to one with them, even if a few years ago. Don't take it personally, it is how I would look at it, doesn't mean the landlord would.

NatashaRomanoff Fri 06-May-16 21:22:04

Yay! Job loss is relatively unlikely, my work is secure (public sector) and DH is managerial. We've both been in post for a while. Thank you for your reply.

NatashaRomanoff Fri 06-May-16 21:23:15

I see your point. With regard to damages though, my children are (thankfully) not particularly prone to causing much, and certainly none in this house which our current landlord could also assure?

fanofthevoid Fri 06-May-16 22:01:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catinthecorner Fri 06-May-16 22:57:40

I'm an accidental landlord. For me it would depend on the other potential tenants. I'd probably prefer someone without CCJ's.

However, you've said this is a dream home and you want a long term rental. If the others don't that might swing it. Would you consider telling the agent you'd be willing to sign up for a longer then usual lease if the landlord wants a longer term commitment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now