Did the stress of moving take the shine off your new home?

(6 Posts)
gotthearse Fri 06-May-16 19:53:05

Due to complete in a couple of weeks, all the major issues are now dealt with, but it's been bruising. I would have told the buyer and my vendor to get stuffed, but my new buy was something hard to come by where we live. So all very stressful. It's really taken the shine off and I am tired and emotional rather than excited. If you had this does it rub off soon? Or is it never quite the same?

PipnPosy Fri 06-May-16 20:12:14

Have you exchanged yet? I couldn't get excited about the house again after a hellish conveyancing process until we'd exchanged. One of the reasons it was so stressful was because we desperately loved our house-to-be. We moved in 3 months ago, it's a total tip and we are at the start of major renovations but I love it and I'm still buzzing that we finally completed! So no, it didn't take the shine off in the end. Fingers crossed for you that it's all good from here on in.

gotthearse Fri 06-May-16 20:45:23

Still to exchange tho I think it would take a major and unexpected change of circumstances for it to go wrong now as everyone itching to go and we all agree on the comp date (chain is only 3 long). But possible as you say. Hoping it will rub off, glad to hear it did for you its given me hope!

Moving15 Fri 06-May-16 21:38:35

Our vendor was not a problem but our buyers were quite annoying. It didn't take the shine off and i was in a dream like state during and after the move. Had a bit of a dip when my friends didn't bother visiting our new pad after several attempts but I've moved on and up since and it's even better than I imagined. A few days of extra sleeo a few weeks after moving helped. Happy new house xx

wowfudge Fri 06-May-16 23:28:44

I know what it feels like OP. We feared our vendors might pull out as they were very attached to the place. We too were in a chain of three properties (thought it was four till after we'd completed tbh) and had all agreed a completion date several weeks before we actually were ready to exchange.

Three weeks in, the place is liveable, but far from completely sorted out. Every day I find something to smile about though and I have a fantastically scenic, relaxed drive to work instead of the nose-to-tail nightmare I previously endured.

If you haven't already done so, get removal firms to quote for full packing - worth the extra money and not as expensive as you might think. It also means you can live normally until a couple of days before you move rather than wearing yourselves out packing boxes and living surrounded by them.

JT05 Sat 07-May-16 07:04:09

The stress does build up until exchange and then gets a bit better towards completion. Take the advice already given and get the removal firm to do the packing. Then a couple of good nights sleep, just when you think you'll never sleep properly again, should do the trick!

We've left our things in storage, due to a gap between selling and buying so we're now in the getting new bits delivered. Major crisis, was when the new sofa didn't go through the the sitting room door and had to go back! But we are still happy with the move from city to village life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now