How do I fill this gap?

(5 Posts)
Diydolly36 Mon 02-May-16 10:41:34

Without using expanding foam. It's where the skirting board meets the floor. I'm going to caulk the small scruffy gaps but this floorboard has been cut short & I don't want to lift it now I've started painting the floor. I was thinking a gluey pva'd twist of newspaper tied to a piece of string could be poked through & pulled taut until it dried & then the gap caulked, but has anyone got a better idea?

lalalonglegs Mon 02-May-16 11:04:18

I second caulk - don't get too technical with it, just squeeze it in and then smoothe it off.

Diydolly36 Mon 02-May-16 11:17:17

To be clear, I have to poke something into the gap first as there's nothing behind just a void to the sub-floor. Caulk is fine for the front after I've managed to plug the behind, otherwise it'll just fall through. Any ideas?

wowfudge Mon 02-May-16 12:35:14

Just plug the gap with scrunched up newspaper then use caulk over the top.

lalalonglegs Mon 02-May-16 16:27:19

Piece of cardboard? I'd be tempted to cut the nozzle of the caulk into a large hole and see if I could just fill it with a thick squirt - it's so sticky I doubt it would just fall down. The gap doesn't seem huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now