carpets or floorboards

(7 Posts)
dangermouseisace Thu 28-Apr-16 22:25:45

I'm looking for some house floor covering help. I'm going to be moving house in a few weeks. There is an overlap where I can organise the new house whilst still living in our old one.

The new place (30's-50's council house) needs decorated, floor sorted etc. There are floorboards, and they are in good nick in most of the rooms so look like they'd just need sanded, varnished and the gaps filled to look good. I was thinking of doing the living room at least, maybe my bedroom.

My father thinks I'm nuts and that the place will be cold and noisy downstairs with 3 kids (I'd put a rug down). He has very kindly offered to get the place (except bathroom and kitchen obviously) carpeted for us…but I have always been a bit "yuk" about carpet. It just doesn't seem very hygienic and I obsess about things getting spilt, or even worse, kids being sick on it.

Who is right- my dad or me?!

NicknameUsed Thu 28-Apr-16 22:34:05

I'm with your father on this, especially in bedrooms. Hard floors upstairs make it very noisy for people downstairs. I find hard floors cold, so only have them in the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms.

Carpets aren't unhygienic unless you never clean them.

dangermouseisace Thu 28-Apr-16 22:51:07

yes that's the problem…cleaning carpets (washing) with kids around is a right faff. My parents find the hard floors cold but I think I've got so much hard skin on my feet from running I don't feel a thing :D

Liska Mon 02-May-16 20:46:14

I'm a fan of hard floor downstairs, carpet upstairs. Hard floors are way easier to keep clean, however often you shampoo your carpet. But carpet upstairs is cosier for bedrooms, and much quieter.

TremoloGreen Mon 02-May-16 21:02:50

Carpet is unhygienic with small children. Cheaper than alternatives

TremoloGreen Mon 02-May-16 21:07:50

Carpets are unhygienic with small children. Ok or even preferable in bedrooms if your kids don't have asthma/ allergies. I'm not a big fan of sanded boards though as very draughty - the boards were never meant to be uncovered in most houses - I think I would prefer it to carpet in at least the sitting room and dining room but would probably save up for proper wood flooring that could go down over a layer of insulation.

dangermouseisace Mon 02-May-16 21:41:45

I've reached a compromise…carpets upstairs and on stairs, floorboards in living/dining room with massive rugs! Thank you for your input!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now