To extend or not, estate agent valuations?!

(5 Posts)
Madblondedog Thu 28-Apr-16 09:15:05

We have planning permission to extend off the back of our house to make a kitchen diner, a 3m x 4m extension. Because of the way the land is it wouldn't be cheap to do as its quite a height to build up to. I don't want to do the work unless it will at least make the house easier to sell (not necessarily add value) but I'd want to break even as a minimum.

Has anyone successfully got an estate agent to value their house as is and a speculative valuation if the work were to go ahead?

Joinourclub Thu 28-Apr-16 12:06:39

I'm planning a similar extension. I have spent much time on zoopla looking at properties that have been extended, and I have concluded that it is definitely worth the money for us.

Madblondedog Thu 28-Apr-16 12:16:31

I am pretty sure it would be worth it, but not 100% sure. It's so tough to be certain really.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:07:39

We got a flyer through the door saying "just sold a house on your street blah blah, contact us if you're thinking of selling" so I called them and they came round. Gave me an indication of current value. Then asked me why we were moving, said we needed an extra bedroom etc and whilst we'd had plans drawn up etc, it was going to be too costly and disruptive with 3 young children etc etc, better to move to a cheaper area long term in any event. But as part of the conversation, I asked whether the planning permission would mean it was worth more and whether it was worth doing the work before we sold (may do it to give us a bigger deposit on next house etc etc). So got an indication of what it might be worth, but I wouldn't suggest it was something we could rely upon iyswim, just a general indication.

I did phone one other EA to ask the question and they said they would give me a valuation but it would be £75 plus VAT.

Madblondedog Thu 28-Apr-16 17:11:39

Yeah....might pretend like we're planning to sell and then talk about the plans we have for the extension

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now