Fascia, Soffit and Guttering advice

(7 Posts)
AmyInTheBoonies Wed 27-Apr-16 17:29:19

I've had three quotes for getting new fascia, soffit and guttering and they are all coming up with different advice.

Its a three bed semi and works out at 24m.

I've been quoted £3000 to remove all wood fascia, replace with plastic fascia, put new guttering on - this would require scaffolding.

Second quote was put scaffolding up, sand and paint the old fascia and put on new guttering at £2500.

Third quote is no scaffolding as they would just use ladders and boards and put plastic fascia over old wood fascia and put new gutters on for £950.

Any one know anything about this and whether it's necessary to remove all old fascia etc or is it good enough to just cover.

Thanks for any advice.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Wed 27-Apr-16 19:27:48

We've just had this done! Victorian detached, they did it with ladders, no problem ( about 6m working height). What's your wood like? If its rotting, there's no point covering it, it will rot beneath the plastic. We had hardwood soffits and fascias, along with guttering and a job on the roof.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Wed 27-Apr-16 19:30:10

Excellent site here for all you need to know ... www.fixmyroof.co.uk/trusted-roofing-company/

AmyInTheBoonies Thu 28-Apr-16 07:25:01

Thanks for the link IlPorcupino.

The wood fascia seems in good condition. It just looks scruffy as all the paint is peeling. We have the old cast iron guttering which is rusting and really needs replacing though.

Maybe I can get away with the cheaper quote after all.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Thu 28-Apr-16 07:35:36

I think the plastic looks a bit crap, if it's an older house with any amount of character. The middle quote seems a little high, though, unless that includes any repairs.

AmyInTheBoonies Thu 28-Apr-16 08:25:13

It's a 1930s semi so I agree plastic fascia isn't going to look great. I recently replaced a tacky uvpc door for the same reason.

Though the house is not worth a lot as not in a good location so don't feel I can go for new wood fascia.

The middle quote doesn't include repairs but is high as they need scaffolding up to paint. I might try to get a few other quotes for painting to compare as does seem high.

user1469565098 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:34:50

Its a no no leaving the wood underneath good companies would not do that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now