Anyone want to help me find a house in commuting distance of Weybridge?

(43 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 27-Apr-16 12:42:00

Would anyone who wants to live vicariously, or just likes house hunting, like to help me to find a house, or at least an area to look for houses? My DH has been offered a job in Weybridge but we're finding it a bit overwhelming narrowing down areas to start looking for houses.

The requirements are:
Maximum budget of £550k to buy or £2000 pcm to rent.
At least four bedrooms.
Commuting distance to Weybridge (preferably no more than 45 minutes by car or train).
Garden.
Walking distance of a primary school.
Catchment area for a good secondary school.
Walking distance of a rail station or good bus links.
Garage if possible
Detached if possible.

RandomMess Wed 27-Apr-16 12:44:12

Ambitious...

Addlestone is the cheapest area to buy in.

What ages are your DC now? School places a bit of an issue in the whole of that area of Surrey.

Driving there in 45 minutes is a real challenge tbh so best look at train or walking IMHO.

RandomMess Wed 27-Apr-16 12:45:53

Basically work your way along the train line out towards Woking and then past it - some areas are a bit of a no mans land for secondary schools though.

StuntNun Wed 27-Apr-16 13:05:44

My DC are 13, 9, 3 and 1. We're probably going to end up renting, at least at first, but I would like to get it right first time so that we don't have to move the children to different schools twice in short order.

MinervaMcG Wed 27-Apr-16 13:07:58

It will be hard in that budget. Have a look at New Haw, which has good schools and borders Addlestone.

Are you Catholic (that might help).

deepdarkwood Wed 27-Apr-16 13:12:04

Which side of Weybridge is the job? Traffic through weybridge high street/off the M25 is slooooooow in the morning so it'll make a difference where he's got to get to. I'd be tempted to agree that if poss train would prob be better than car - but the train station is a bit middle of nowhere...

LunaLovebad Wed 27-Apr-16 13:16:09

Egham is 5 stops away on the train to Weybridge and you could just about get a 4 bed for that price in some areas. Magna Carta school is a very good secondary and the primaries are all very good too. Chertsey is another option, there is a new secondary opening in 2018 and it's about a 10 minute drive to Weybridge.

StuntNun Wed 27-Apr-16 13:36:27

Not a Catholic unfortunately, we're Presbyterian.

The job is near the Brooklands Museum. So would commuting by rail be preferable to driving then? That would certainly be better for us as we would only need one car then.

The budget to buy is fixed because we only have a £50k deposit but we could go higher for renting if needed. It's all so much more expensive than here in Northern Ireland.

MinervaMcG Wed 27-Apr-16 13:39:01

Brooklands is not walkable to Weybridge at all. You'd need to drive. You're closer here to Byfleet, and New Haw, and bits of Addlestone. They're all cheaper areas than Weybridge proper which is v expensive.

Would definitely look at houses in the Fullbrook catchment to see if there's something in your budget. Suspect that if you could get 4 beds it would be ex council and prob terraced for your budget.

specialsubject Wed 27-Apr-16 14:10:56

Weybridge is a lovely town but it is walking pace traffic for hours at a time. The station is outside the town, same as quite a few in the area.

Get the train and then cycle?

Pufflemum Wed 27-Apr-16 14:27:50

I have a fab house that's available to rent nearby in West End from July. It is over your budget slightly but in catchment for Gordon's school which is one of the best state schools in the country. If you are interested PM me and I'll send you more details.

deepdarkwood Wed 27-Apr-16 14:32:21

Brooklands is defn a possibility from Weybridge train station, depending on where exactly - as others have said, bike is a good option if it's a bit further from the station. Byfleet/NewHaw/Addlestone are that way and compared to Weybridge should be reasonable, but d/k about schools. Otherwise, maybe look down the A3 as that comes in on the Brooklands side. but tbh, I can't think of anywhere down that A3 corridor that is within distance and not super pricey - lots of lovely villages though!

Good luck ...

Pufflemum Wed 27-Apr-16 14:35:00

I've sent you a pm

ILeaveTheRoomForTwoMinutes Wed 27-Apr-16 15:53:44

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59120699.html

This is in byfleet, I don't know the area enough to advise, but I like looking for houses so thought I'd link, and someone else can fill you in on the local area.

ILeaveTheRoomForTwoMinutes Wed 27-Apr-16 15:57:36

I love the oldy worldy look of this one, it in Walton on Thames.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58720085.html

StuntNun Wed 27-Apr-16 16:02:07

Bike would be ideal as DH is always moaning about not getting enough exercise.

Thanks for those links TwoMinutes. The cottage looks lovely and homey.

EvansOvalPies Wed 27-Apr-16 16:09:36

Brooklands is not walkable to Weybridge at all

It is if you like walking (or cycling). I used to live in Oatlands and walked to my job at British Aerospace in Brooklands most days if the weather was nice. Otherwise caught the bus.

St Charles Boromeo is a good Primary School, I hear, and Heathside Secondary School appears quite popular, but can't comment definitively, as we had moved slightly out of the area by the time our children started school. Your budget is quite tight for your requirements for that area, TBH, StuntNun

Thethingswedoforlove Wed 27-Apr-16 16:12:59

You could look at her sham where property is quite cheap but it is only 2 stops on the train (with a fold up bike you can then easily get to brook lands)?

EvansOvalPies Wed 27-Apr-16 16:30:29

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53652202.html

I found this one - the estate agent has several, but most are in excess of £700,000 for your requirements. New Haw is outside of Weybridge, so your DH would need a car (or motorbike) to get to his job. When I first moved to this area, I was part of a car share until I found my feet (so to speak)!

EvansOvalPies Wed 27-Apr-16 16:32:30

PS - Meant to add: New Haw and Addlestone (and Hersham, as previous poster said) have slightly less-expensive properties than Weybridge.

StuntNun Wed 27-Apr-16 16:34:31

Yes it is looking more expensive than expected. A similar house here in Northern Ireland would be £200k to buy and £750k to rent. shock We can probably go higher on the rent but don't have the deposit to go higher on the mortgage so renting is probably the way forward.

StuntNun Wed 27-Apr-16 16:34:51

Sorry that should be £750 pcm to rent.

Deux Wed 27-Apr-16 16:38:11

Also have a look at Hersham, Walton on Thames, East Molesey, West Molesey.

ChasingPavements Wed 27-Apr-16 16:53:13

Brooklands is definitely walkable from Weybridge station!!

Traffic around there is a complete nightmare though and house prices are high. Definitely look towards Byfleet, New Haw and Addlestone. I think though that you will struggle to get a decent 4 bed house for your budget.

ILeaveTheRoomForTwoMinutes Wed 27-Apr-16 16:53:22

Detached with a garage under £500. But no idea about schools

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53754544.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now