allotments ..

(10 Posts)
ftb882 Tue 26-Apr-16 17:02:14

Hi all ,
We are in the process of buying a property that backs to allotments . They are at the back of the garden . Can you forsee any problems with this ?i cant think of anything but i was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences

FfionFlorist Tue 26-Apr-16 17:18:35

We have allotments behind our house, 200ft gardens though so not too close. Have had no problems at all in 15 yrs. in fact lovely, open and interesting.

The only thing I would check is the occupancy levels. If there are lots of empty plots the council may be tempted to consider the site for another use, although I understand allotments are protected in law from redevelopment.

ftb882 Tue 26-Apr-16 18:28:33

Thank you for replying . They all seem to be rented out so i guess thats a good sign my concern would be the council selling it or using it for other purposes

whataboutbob Tue 26-Apr-16 22:02:46

I have an allotment and I am aware that the owner of one of the houses that back on to the site has an issue with the council's manure being tipped on the spot behind his house.! He also took against a tall plum tree that overshadowed his house and finally prevailed upon the council to have it chopped down. We were a bit pissed off about that.

Blondie1984 Tue 26-Apr-16 22:06:46

I live opposite some allotments and the only problems I have are when any of the holders have fires or choose to spread manure on windy days!
Other than that, it's actually a pleasure - the people are lovely and have never had any problems in 4 years of living here

readingrainbow Tue 26-Apr-16 22:17:47

I would guess you'd have an issue with well established pests if you wanted to plant any veg in your own garden. When we had an allotment a few years ago, we struggled with bugs to a much larger degree than in our garden.

ftb882 Tue 26-Apr-16 22:56:23

Thank you all for you answers the most scary one is pestshmm

whataboutbob Wed 27-Apr-16 13:35:20

The main one I can see being a problem is tomato blight, which often affects allotments whereas gardens tend to be spared. That doesn t mean you'd necessarily get it if you decide to grow tomatoes though, but it could slightly increase the risk. Blight is devastating to those who grow tomatoes.

Ruhrpott Wed 27-Apr-16 20:48:03

We have allotments in front of our house. No problems apart from the odd fire and occasional party. We have even had apples and green beans given to us from them. No problems with pests. We can hear their cockerel crowing in the morning but then again I have a cockerel too in my garden and no one complains about him smile

hooliodancer Wed 27-Apr-16 21:37:20

It's wonderful having a huge green space so close! We have the one directly behind our house and it's amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now