How much space do I need around a hob?

(5 Posts)
ilovetosleep Sun 24-Apr-16 20:19:46

I really want to put the hob on the island in our new kitchen, but I have also fallen for the widest hob option - its an AEG 90cm wide that is induction but also has a gas wok ring on one side. I also love the domino option but they take the hob to over 90cm. The island is currently 1800, it can be increased to 1900. That gives me 45-50 cm each side of the hob. I am quite a messy cook but I will have a nice long clear run of worktop behind me.

What do you think?

bumpertobumper Sun 24-Apr-16 21:37:04

The good thing about induction hobs is that the rings you are not using are usable workspace. I have lots of worktop either side of mine, but still use the hob itself to eg put lids and wooden spoons down (as it is so easy to clean grin). Mine is also 90 wide. I think it sounds like you'll be fine with what you've described.
But my mistake was to not get a wide enough extractor hood to match, steam escapes up the side... Probably different set up on an island anyway.
Enjoy your new kitchen!

bumpertobumper Sun 24-Apr-16 21:37:14

The good thing about induction hobs is that the rings you are not using are usable workspace. I have lots of worktop either side of mine, but still use the hob itself to eg put lids and wooden spoons down (as it is so easy to clean grin). Mine is also 90 wide. I think it sounds like you'll be fine with what you've described.
But my mistake was to not get a wide enough extractor hood to match, steam escapes up the side... Probably different set up on an island anyway.
Enjoy your new kitchen!

namechangedtoday15 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:19:32

Could you have it slightly offset - obviously you don't want pan handles etc haging over the edge of the island, but I'd be tempted to have it offset so that you have a decent amount of worktop space (for plating up etc) at least on one side. 45cm on each side wouldn't be as useful as say 70-80cm one side and 20cm the other side?

ilovetosleep Mon 25-Apr-16 14:25:51

Thats a good idea, although 20 cm seems very small and you wouldnt' want it off centred but not enough to look like its on purpose if that makes sense! I have a feeling DH is going to talk me out of this hob and get the 80cm all induction one. I really want induction for the cleaning aspect but I just don't feel ready to go completely gas free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now