Forgot meter reading!

(3 Posts)
JadeFeather Sun 24-Apr-16 19:56:15

Hi
We sold our flat recently and completed 3 weeks ago. Went on holiday the next day and totally forgot to take meter readings!!! Argh. Hoping the occupier took readings but not sure. If he hasn't informed the utilities providers will we end up paying for his electricity and water use over the last three weeks? The flat was unoccupied and not accessed since the last bill so there should have been zero use of electric or water during the last few months.

PigletJohn Mon 25-Apr-16 11:48:09

Inform the utility companies straight away.

AFAIK if you do not notify them of final meter readings, you are liable until the next reading. The next occupant should also notify them, but who knows?

lavendersun Mon 25-Apr-16 11:54:03

I forgot to do this recently Jade but only for my water supply. I phoned them and they calculated a bill based on average use until the day I moved out - so the period it was empty was at nil charge.

I would phone your supplier to discuss it - hopefully you will get a similar response.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now