Layout ideas please...

(16 Posts)
jojosapphire Fri 22-Apr-16 18:24:48

Hiya thinking of buying this house due to great location but it is smaller than we need. We would like to add another bedroom and an ensuite. Would also like to knock through kitchen and dining room. And possibly add a utility....
Not sure about the frobt door opening in to lounge (will end up as a corridor?) or the stairs being in the dining room...
Any ideas would be great.... Thanks jo

jojosapphire Fri 22-Apr-16 18:29:21

Here is a pic

jojosapphire Fri 22-Apr-16 18:33:02

Having trouble with the pics will try again

Lookingagain Fri 22-Apr-16 18:33:12

You could add a double height extension onto the back. That way you could have a big kitchen/diner downstairs with utility while preserving your separate lounge. Upstairs you could add a large master bedroom with ensuit. Making the former master bedroom the third bedroom and using the far end of it as a hallway leading to your new master bedroom.

BYOSnowman Fri 22-Apr-16 21:14:43

Do you intend to use the garage?

I would be tempted to knock garage down and do a master suite above and link the garage round so it comes in line with kitchen - either keep a garage and put utility on or make the new space into something more useful for you

FishWithABicycle Fri 22-Apr-16 21:23:30

Garages just get full of rubbish and people never get around to putting the car away, unless you don't have a driveway in front of the garage make the garage into a 2 storey extension containing everything you need.

BYOSnowman Fri 22-Apr-16 21:25:54

And old garages never seem wide enough for modern cars either

jojosapphire Fri 22-Apr-16 21:35:08

Thanks would defiantly be looking at rebuilding the garage with a bedroom and ensuite above. Its the downstairs im struggling with really. Want to keep at least 1/2 the garage for bikes tools and lawn mower etc.

BYOSnowman Fri 22-Apr-16 21:39:05

If you want storage I would be tempted to extend garage to back and open up those three back rooms (super room) and have a half garage iyswim with utility in there

As for lounge - moving stairs can be a pain. How about moving guest toilet off the super room and have a proper lobby at the front door so when you go into the lounge it is less of a corridor.

ChablisTyrant Fri 22-Apr-16 21:46:37

I agree with others. Get an architect to design a 2 storey extension to replace the garage.

StKildasNun Sat 23-Apr-16 00:59:31

Downstairs looks v difficult to fix. You need a builder/architect as you need to decide how the stairs can run and whether you can knock down walls so need to know which walls are retaining walls and which can be moved.

If you aren't putting a car in the garage ever the front of garage could have the front door opening into a lobby and the staircase going up from there to upstairs and new bedroom. Remove the existing front door. That way avoid going through lounge all the time.

Blueberrycheesecake1 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:42:41

I would knock through kitchen and dining room to make one big room and make entrance via kitchen so the stairs are in the living room rather than dining room

FishWithABicycle Mon 25-Apr-16 13:07:18

I doodled this on Saturday but never got around to posting it. Would this work?

jojosapphire Fri 05-Aug-16 07:10:26

Hi only just noticed your reply fish. Thank you its a possiblity. We have bought the house and moved in on monday! Just need to track down an architect now!
Oh has ideas of getting a beach buggy type car so need to keep at least the front section of the garage... As we own the land to the side of the garage im hoping to add a side door in through the back of the garage to give us a hall and bootroom....

wowfudge Fri 05-Aug-16 07:51:19

Fish has made the suggestion I was thinking of for a hall through to the kitchen. If you can extend across the back to make the kitchen bigger, I'd definitely do that.

poochiepants Fri 05-Aug-16 12:17:21

I'd check out planning applications made in the street before you get too carried away, or certainly spend money on an architect! Then you'll be able to see what was allowed and what was refused - some planning offices aren't keen on converting garages because of how it might affect the overall look of the street. And if it has been done already somewhere down the road, don't assume they'll still say yes - it might have been awhile ago & rules might have changed.....so still check it out. You could always get an appointment with a planning officer in advance too, to see what they say....

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now