Paint colour to go with old yellow brick

(15 Posts)
MoonlightandMusic Fri 22-Apr-16 11:59:42

Any ideas for a strong-ish, warm, exterior paint to go with old yellow brick?
Want to do the garden walls - it's south facing, but not huge about 40' (length) x 20' (width).
Colour of the house-brick is similar to the left-hand side house in the picture. I've tried a lot of creams/yellows and they just don't work.

All suggestions gratefully received!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 22-Apr-16 12:01:36

Terracotta.

Or is that too 90s?

JT05 Fri 22-Apr-16 13:39:15

Have a look at pictures of old Cotswold stone ( yellow stone) houses and see what people have painted doors, fences etc. They might be helpful for ideas.

MoonlightandMusic Fri 22-Apr-16 13:39:51

Definitely not too 90's but too orangey to go with the (somewhat grey-grubby) yellow sad

langlandgirl Fri 22-Apr-16 14:38:14

what about something like F&B string, chord, new white or lime white?

MoonlightandMusic Fri 22-Apr-16 16:08:00

Thanks JT, will do.

Hadn't realised F&B do exterior paint too - must look into that.

langlandgirl Fri 22-Apr-16 21:39:15

hhhhm - oh yes - i may be wrong there, but maybe you could get a masonry paint mixed in a similar colour? No idea about external paints having never painted anything other than wood externally!

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Fri 22-Apr-16 21:45:50

The blue door-the white fence and the orangey feature bricks in the picture look good with the yellow brick. How about one of those?

MoonlightandMusic Fri 22-Apr-16 23:57:16

I do like the blue, but worried about it being too cold in winter. DH has vetoed pure white for a similar reason and the feature bricks only look good in small doses.

I've just realised - I'm turning into one of those OP's aren't I?

langland - on the plus side it seems that you are correct, F&B do do exterior paint.

StKildasNun Sat 23-Apr-16 00:09:07

Langlandgirl's String and chord F&B do look feasible to me - anything will look much stronger over such a big area. So a murky version of one of the two might work. Or maybe a greyish like the pointing between the bricks.

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Sat 23-Apr-16 06:58:38

I hate picking colours, especially for large areas! Let us know what you pick (nosey).

ChishandFips33 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:10:17

Green? is there a plant/bush in the garden that you like the shade of?

MoonlightandMusic Sat 23-Apr-16 22:06:15

Well, there's a couple of artichoke/cardoons I like, and a lamia with sort of silvery leaves - hmm.

Anyone know anything about Little Greene's Kitchen Green or Oak Apple?

StKildasNun Sun 24-Apr-16 21:16:09

Maybe that silvery grey colour that aged teak goes (out of doors) would work.

minipie Sun 24-Apr-16 22:05:22

I'd go with a white with a greeny undertone, or a pale greeny grey - like olive tree leaves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now