Giving your house a name (when it already has a number)

(25 Posts)
JoyofSpring Thu 21-Apr-16 20:39:26

Just moved into a new house. It has a number but when I looked up the address on an old planning application it seems to have a name too... But no sign with a name on or anything.

So, could I just put a new sign up with a new name and use that? The official address is surely the number so does anyone know of it matters?!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Thu 21-Apr-16 20:43:03

A bit twee.

JoyofSpring Thu 21-Apr-16 20:44:49

It's a bit ridiculous to have a name when you already have a number but I quite like the idea! grin

Just not sure if you need to do anything "official".

Madbengalmum Thu 21-Apr-16 20:45:03

I have just a name, however if a property has a number then it should never have a name, definately twee

JoyofSpring Thu 21-Apr-16 20:49:30

Most of the houses in the road here seem to have both. Agree that it's twee, but still...

BlueStringPudding Thu 21-Apr-16 20:55:47

I think you have to check with the post office, as if people send you mail with the name and not the number, they need to be able to deliver it..

Hero1callylost Thu 21-Apr-16 20:57:45

Some advice here - www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/4209325/Property-advice-How-to-change-the-name-of-your-house.html

Sounds like a total faff, I wouldn't bother.

Madbengalmum Thu 21-Apr-16 20:57:55

Bluestring, if the property has a number then it will be the identifier used by the post office, not the name.
However, my village just has homes with names no numbers at all, so obviously this is the official address

Palomb Thu 21-Apr-16 21:01:40

oooooh exactly the same situation here! I am in the process of buying a 1930s house which was named but the developer when he built it. The name is on the Os maps and Local documents for 20 years and then it falls out of favour.

I am going to reinstate the name 👍🏼

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Thu 21-Apr-16 21:11:08

We used to live in a house with a name but no number at all. It was quite inconvenient, not least because it made the house very hard to find for deliveries/visitors etc.

But if you've got a number for the actual address and just want a name on a little sign, then go for it. I agree it's a bit twee, but if you like it, do it.

Ninjagogo Thu 21-Apr-16 21:14:29

We had this, house name, then number. Sounded very grand grin
Legally nothing stopping you using a name, as long as the number is there too.

MizK Thu 21-Apr-16 21:21:38

Our house has a name built into the front but we just use the number. Do like the name but it just seems cheesy to suddenly start using it... although secretly I wish I could without feeling I'm being naff!

puggymummy1 Thu 21-Apr-16 21:24:38

We have both. I like it. The property has history and the name and number is on the census. I don't think it's twee.

ChablisTyrant Thu 21-Apr-16 21:25:14

Our very long street has names without numbers. Very annoying because no one can ever find the house. I'm thinking of re-naming ours 'number 6' to see if we can start a trend.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 21-Apr-16 21:28:07

We don't use the name of our house. The number and street is far more practical.

The name is nice and relates to the history of the house so we have kept the name plate up for posterity, but we wouldn't use it in the address.

TakeItFromMe Thu 21-Apr-16 21:42:07

When we bought our house it had 2 names/numbers (think 3 Thatch Cottages, Manor Road and also 3 Twee Cottages, Manor Road) depending on what website you were using or ordering from. The Royal Mail had no clue, neither did anyone else. We selected the one we preferred and use it consistently, including sign outside house etc.

Over time the other houses (I.e. 1,2 and 4) seem to have gone along with it and most websites and Royal Mail and Rightmove now use 'our' preferred name. We still see some instances of the other name but it's rare.

So I'm pretty convinced you can do what you like and over time and usage it all just adapts!

lavendersun Thu 21-Apr-16 21:50:38

We have just moved from a house that had a name and a village, no street. A few years back some clever dick gave our farm track a name so instead of Lavender House, Village it became Lavender House, 1 Precious Road that was once a farm track, Village.

It was a pain and the things where you put your postcode in stopped recognising Lavender House eventually. We became no 1 after 300 years.

I would say keep it simple and don't bother.

GlassCircles Fri 22-Apr-16 14:47:48

I can't see a problem with putting a sign up to preserve the house's history. I personally wouldn't use it on anything official or even things like your address you give for online purchases etc in case it caused confusion.

I had a friend who gave her house a very twee made up name just because she liked it (it had a perfectly good street number), and insisted on putting it on all her correspondence. I used to forget to put it on my correspondence back to her because it I didn't want to indulge her lack of taste

Marmitelover55 Fri 22-Apr-16 14:54:01

Anyone remember "Casa Bevron"? grin

GlassCircles Fri 22-Apr-16 15:47:26

Ah yes, happy Brookie days grin

Afishcalledchips Fri 22-Apr-16 16:06:56

Our house used to be two houses side by side, then one house, then two flats (one up stairs/one down), and now it's one house again (yes the layout is weird). It has a name, let's call it 'Rose Cottage'. When I fill in any online form with the address, it comes up as '1 Rose Cottage' even though there's no '2 Rose Cottage' and there hasn't been for years and years... I'm irrationally annoyed by this. The sign just says 'Rose Cottage'.

I think naming a numbered house is a bit Hyacinthe Bucket grin but whatever makes you happy.

FrikkaDilla Sat 23-Apr-16 19:35:35

I saw a house for sale recently that was called "Benidorm". Bet that's taken 100k off the price.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Sat 23-Apr-16 21:13:13

We had a house that had a name and number. Originally when built in 1939 it had a name only. The number was only added late 60s when lots of houses built along the same road.
We would often get mail addressed to just the name with no number, likewise the number and not the name. I used both when writing the full address.

Am thinking of adding a name to this house we live on now only because our number and street name when said together sound like a number and people keep getting our address wrong.

Ladybirdturd Sat 23-Apr-16 21:15:42

There is a terraced house near me in the middle of a new housing estate named 'Rose Heights'. It has no roses on the property and is in the middle of a flat road.... confused

BennyTheBall Sat 23-Apr-16 21:20:13

It's a bit daft and pretentious, if it's a recently added name to a house that was originally numbered.

My parents' neighbours did this. They suddenly added 'chimney pots' or something to their numbered house.

The council wrote them a stroppy letter telling them to stop or apply to them and pay a fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now