Glass internal doors in small house to create illusion of space and light.

(10 Posts)
Luv2chat2U Tue 19-Apr-16 00:05:32

Has anyone tried this? The property I'm moving to is small. I was thinking to put glass doors in the living room and kitchen to create the Illusion of space, and light.

I would really appreciate any tips you may have many thanks in advance

ouryve Tue 19-Apr-16 00:09:43

Our house has them at either end of the deep living room. 2/4 glazed with frosted glass, so we still have some privacy.

Just make sure you source modern ones with safety glass rather than anything reclaimed - or if you do reclaim, get the glass replaced (if it's a nice enough door to be worth it). You wouldn't believe the mess it makes when a highly educational wooden toy flies through a pain of non safety glass at speed because your kids are fighting over said toy.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Tue 19-Apr-16 09:56:10

We don't have a really small house but have got glass doors throughout downstairs. We've just replaced the old non-safety glass ones with the Dordogne glazed range from Howdens which weren't too expensive.

Shakespearmint Tue 19-Apr-16 10:07:32

Depends where they are .
I'm an architect and would never consider installing glass doors internally .
Acoustically they don't work . They offer no privacy between one area and the other ? Fire rating is a big problem and they are a pain to clean .

Ask yourself what the purpose of the internal doors are ? What are you trying to achieve ?

ouryve Tue 19-Apr-16 10:20:39

Well, Shakespearmint, our part glazed doors do a jolly good job of blocking sound and draughts. Our dining area is in the middle of a deep terrace, with no direct natural light at that end of the room, so having a window and glazed door stops it from being too dingy, whilst still blocking out noise from the washer etc. The frosted glass does a perfectly good job of maintaining privacy, on the occasion that it is needed.

I'm sure the OP is looking for much the same.

Shakespearmint Tue 19-Apr-16 10:37:50

Ouryve--- don't you find it laborious having to open and close the glass doors when going between the spaces ? I can fully understand the natural light requirement .
I find people , in open plan spaces , rarely want to be having 'obstructions ' to have to deal with every time they move from one social space to the next .
I would need to look at a plan to obviously have more clarity on the context ....

Sandbagsandgladrags Tue 19-Apr-16 11:13:18

I've installed a 90cm clear sliding glass door between my kitchen and dining area - another long terrace house here. It's gorgeous - it's open most of the time slid against the wall, where it bounces light around and reflects the rest of the room. When shut it does limit noise and kitchen smells. Probably not as much as a wooden door but I'm happy with the compromise. Yes it needs a quick wipe near the recessed handle every day, but that isn't a big deal.

Paintedhandprints Tue 19-Apr-16 11:25:35

I have glazed internal doors downstairs. Makes the place look very light and airy. I do have to wipe toddler handprints off when I have visitors, but don't have an issue with noise. I have the 15 panel full height safety glass type. Living room is north facing so it does make a difference.
I don't think residential internal doors need to be fire rated, unless you live in a massive house with rooms within rooms. I doubt the solid doors made out of cardboard are more resistant to fire than a glass door.

OccamsRazorSharpner Tue 19-Apr-16 11:34:44

What kind of architect refuses to use glass doors ?!?

OP I had same issue, replaced a couple of solid doors with glass panelled ones and added some clever mirrors, sound proofing is actually better and dark hallway now light and airy grin

Luv2chat2U Tue 19-Apr-16 21:10:53

Thank you all for you comments.

Hmmm I have a lot to consider, cleaning doors daily, noise proof, privacy and breakage lol... I'll have a shop around and see what's out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now