Alternative to kitchen spotlights

(12 Posts)
Sunnyshores Fri 15-Apr-16 20:51:26

Long kitchen, pine units, grey/white granite and grey flagstones. Country style, but modern not fussy.

Currently have 2 sets of old fashioned fluroescent tubes ifkwim. I dont want recessed spots, or boring modern spotlights.

Also need a matching (?) central light at the end of the kitchen where there;s a table and another matching (?) central light in the family area - which forms an L with the kitchen.

Suggestions please (house renovation and lacking anymore inspiration)

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 15-Apr-16 20:57:25

Try dual cable lighting -LED's maybe ?

lisbapalea Fri 15-Apr-16 21:03:22

Well, I was going to direct you to to tinsmiths.co.uk where I saw some lovely lighting earlier.

But then I showed my dh my current favourite wall light option: www.tinsmiths.co.uk/flush-prismatic-wall-light.html

And he told me it looks like a fanny.

So maybe I am not the best arbiter of taste when it comes to kitchen lighting....

Sunnyshores Fri 15-Apr-16 21:16:54

Lisb - now your dh has pointed that out I could never buy that style!!

OnePlan - I like the actual lights, but I think the dual cable would be too wide as its a narrow kitchen.

wonkylegs Fri 15-Apr-16 21:35:48

I was going to say have a look at www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-by-room-c19/kitchen-lighting-t7 they are my go to place for good quality and good choice of lighting. They are also really helpful if you have any questions

wonkylegs Fri 15-Apr-16 21:46:26

What about
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/fielding-2-light-large-flush-led-ceiling-bar-in-polished-chrome-finish-p30325
Or
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/amalfi-6-light-ceiling-bar-spotlight-fitting-in-satin-nickel-finish-p30457
Or more decorative
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/lana-6-light-halogen-semi-flush-ceiling-fitting-in-polished-chrome-and-crystal-finish-p25336
Or
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/fondo-4-light-halogen-ceiling-fitting-in-satin-nickel-and-white-finish-p22020
Or
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/orotelli-4-light-led-ceiling-fitting-in-polished-chrome-finish-p21829

most of these are long fittings but they often have complementary round or smaller fittings

RaisingSteam Fri 15-Apr-16 22:57:55

We have a long kitchen:
Two neat round ceiling lights, actually have a concealed circular tube in which is low energy but bright.

Three small LED wall spotlights on another circuit that supplement the main lights/add interest/ kill shadows in key areas, but can be used alone for low lighting or for a boost on dull days. This combo has worked out well.

If getting low energy make sure all the same colour temp- 3000k is warm white.

RaisingSteam Fri 15-Apr-16 23:05:09

How high is the ceiling?

RaisingSteam Fri 15-Apr-16 23:14:42

At one point I was looking at these kind of "smart tube" fittings for the kitchen - we have a low ceiling so nothing dangly

www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/cuisine-twin-led-ceiling-light-in-satin-chrome-finish-p27725
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/enluce-single-light-low-energy-ceiling-fitting-in-polished-chrome-finish-p24035
ended up with something like this
www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/torus-single-light-low-energy-flush-bathroom-ceiling-fitting-in-brushed-chrome-finish-p30507

Also nothing to stop you using bathroom fittings if you like the style.

Sunnyshores Sat 16-Apr-16 11:47:54

Thanks All - will investigate links.

The ceiling is of a normal modern height (sorry not moved in yet, so not there to measure), wouldnt have to be flush, but likewise not very dangly.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 17-Apr-16 10:46:43

I found some brilliant lights for a kitchen and utility in an Edwardian property. Can never remember how to do links on iPad but they were from Wickes. One was a track with 4 X cream, retro style 'pointable' lights, the other, same style, was round cream with 3 ditto. They were extremely reasonably priced and looked perfect. I also didn't want recessed spots or anything too modernistic that wouldn't 'go'.

ulsusreta1982 Tue 10-May-16 08:20:18

Hi! I think it would be better to use LED lighting Sheffield instead for your spotlights. You could always choose from a number of options available should you want LED lights installed in your kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now