I know they have the right but Grrrrrr...!

(15 Posts)
Snoringlittlemonkey Fri 15-Apr-16 15:45:56

Our neighbours have put an objection in against our planning permission application. I absolutely understand that they have every right to do this. It's the process and how it should be.

However the kicker is we are applying to do exactly the same thing they have already done!

I made a point of going round to talk to all of the neighbours to explain what we were planning. As soon as I mentioned it to her she was like Jekyll and Hyde. Nice one minute snarling the next. I made a point of politely pointing out that we were doing the same as they had done to which she had no answer. Anyway she drags husband round to our house a few days later to tell us off like naughty school children and telling us that the Planning Officer would be visiting us (in tones that were suggestive of sending us to the headmaster!). Husband looked embarrassed. DH handled it really well. He was very calm and said there's a process in place so all concerns are addressed and we appreciate you informing us of your intention to object.

I was not at the door at the time but DH said when she arrived at our door and DH opened it she made like she was going to walk straight into our house to tell us off! Apparently she looked a little taken aback that DH stood in the way.

Anyway we've now seen their objections and they've asked for our planning application to be completely dismissed. I think I would be more understanding if they weren't being hypocritical about it.

Titsywoo Fri 15-Apr-16 15:51:53

I wouldn't worry if they have already done it there should be no issue. What are their actual objections? Shame you will gave bad feeling with neighbours though.

Snoringlittlemonkey Fri 15-Apr-16 15:58:49

To be fair they have a reputation in the neighbourhood for being difficult so shouldn't be surprised. Luckily the other neighbours are lovely and supportive.

Objections are it will dominate their property, it will actually be the same height. That it's out of keeping with neighbouring properties, this is what grips me given its along the same lines as theirs. I don't want to give too many specifics just in case I'm identifiable.

RB68 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:03:51

I wouldn't worry about it - sounds like she needs more to do!

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Apr-16 16:06:44

Planning officers would have seen it all before, if anything they've smoothed the way for you!

At least you know how they are going to be for the rest of the project so no need to bend over backwards for them. Do you need access via their property or party walls agreements?

Snoringlittlemonkey Fri 15-Apr-16 16:46:12

No access needed or party wall agreement. Both detached properties.

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Apr-16 16:50:31

Excellent! No need to be nice at all then!

You sound like a lovely neighbour consulting in the first place, hope it all goes smoothly for you!

FranHastings Fri 15-Apr-16 16:52:59

She probably just wants to be the only one in the street with that type of extension. Some people are very odd. Good luck!

OldBeanbagz Fri 15-Apr-16 17:00:25

I wouldn't worry about it, the planning officers are used to dealing with stuff like this.

Our neighbours objected to our planning permission despite being complementary about the plans when we took them round to show them. They didn't mention us making our extension smaller. Something we might have considered as we were short of cash at the time.

In the end we were granted planning with just a few window size changes but 10 years on they're still bearing a grudge!

Snoringlittlemonkey Fri 15-Apr-16 17:02:54

Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom. I may be back to rant as the weeks progress!

I think you are right Fran as our builder said some people think that as soon as they've completed their own building work then everything around them is then set in stone and no one else is allowed to do it. Not everyone of course but just some. I'm finding it hard to get my head around this attitude.

Snoringlittlemonkey Fri 15-Apr-16 17:04:38

Holy cow beans 10 years on and they've still got a grudge! That's a bit extreme.

Lamu Fri 15-Apr-16 17:05:08

Planning seems to bring out the worst in some neighbours.

You're exercising your right to seek permission. Same way that they can exercise their right to lodge an objection.

You can't please everybody.

currently waiting for ours to be approved or refused. I'd rather get it over and done with tbh

Lamu Fri 15-Apr-16 17:07:09

10 years!!! shock

They clearly need to get a hobby.

Toottoot22 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:45:09

Sounds like our neighbours. We don't get on. They built a huge 2 storey extension and then complained about our application for a single storey sun room. The planners dismissed their concerns of being hemmed in!

citychick Mon 18-Apr-16 02:14:09

You will be fine.
Sounds like double standards and jealousy. people don't like disruption. But they often don't notice it when they are causing the disruption.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now