CCTV camera at front door

(8 Posts)
FrikkaDilla Fri 15-Apr-16 10:08:55

I want to have some sort of security camera at the front door for when we go off on holiday this year. Can anyone give me any recommendations?

FrikkaDilla Fri 15-Apr-16 16:55:58

No-one got any security gadgets at their front doors then?

MothershipG Fri 15-Apr-16 17:02:48

We have a Ring doorbell

You can see who is at the door, even if they don't ring the bell, and for $3/month you can record the video footage online.

To be honest we have it mainly so that I don't have to risk breaking my neck hurtling down the stairs if someone rings the doorbell when I'm in the loft! smile

PigletJohn Fri 15-Apr-16 18:31:53

I have a webcam showing people approaching the door, it records on the HD by motion detection, and displays, but does not record, where there is no motion. If you want you can click to see if it is the postman or a religionist.

I have tried a cheap internet camera, connected to the hub, but I hear they are very easily watched and controlled by hackers.

FrikkaDilla Sat 16-Apr-16 01:08:57

Thanks Mothership - I think one of my neighbours spoke about these and recommended them. I'm on a learning curve.

PigletJohn - I hoped the voice of knowledge would answer, thank you! We live in a very safe area and are not concerned by crime.

We do however unfortunately have a questionable postman. I don't want to go in to too much detail, but that is the level of anti-social behaviour that we are dealing with (spitting on our driveway, standing on plants, chucking out elastic bands etc).

We have a very tiny driveway btw but we are concerned as we are going away for several weeks in the middle of the year.

We don't have a car in our driveway but a friend wants to use the driveway and that's fine. I'm so concerned this postman (who obviously has issues) is going to scrape it.

lamiashiro Sat 16-Apr-16 01:28:41

We have a similar setup to Piglet John by the sound of it except we can also see it via a mobile phone app. The camera wasn't cheap, but a lot of the cheaper ones are rubbish quality.

I can't remember names or specs off the top of my head but happy to find out if you PM me to remind me.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sat 16-Apr-16 15:41:51

We went to a CCTV shop and talked to them about it because my car was broken into on my drive. Nothing of value was taken, just a few quid I keep in the car for parking.

But, I am a SAHM and my house does not face the road so the front door is not visible to the neighbours. This meant Dh got all jittery about it so we had CCTV installed.

We have a close up camera for the front door, and then several others covering the drive and the back of our house. It records to a DVR and we can access it from our phones.

FrikkaDilla Tue 19-Apr-16 08:56:37

Thanks all. Lamiashiro I've forgotten my password so it seems I can't pm you. Can you find the name of the equipment you've got?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now